I often think Britain (and other countries) need to have compulsory intensive courses for all citizens about the civic and economic foundations of their own countries, including a bit of geography and history. The syllabus could even be online so people in other countries can learn too.

That way you have a nation with a shared body of knowledge and understanding, whether newcomer or native. Knowing more about your own country would surely contribute in intangible ways to economic development.

Also, if you happen to be of a patriotic bent (which I'm not), at least you have a clear idea of what you're supposed to be loving.

This test is putting the cart before the horse.

Maybe same with me when I am asked details about Japan especially about history.

A lot of Minamoto someone, Taira someone, Fujiwara someone. And a lot often difficult kanjis are applied for their names.

\:\(

If it's Western history, it's much simpler

e.g.

Fredrich Willhelm I

Fredrich Willhelm II

Fredrich Willhelm III

Just number! clap.gif

In my opinion,

British people tend to say

Lovely

a lot more often than others.

And tend to say

Whilist

Under ground

instead.

\:\)

Saints days are mere trivia, esp. for a "secular" state.

The best question in the article was the one about voltage; it's the only one that actually affects peoples' lives now. It doesn't matter whether 18yo got the vote in 1969 or whenever it was.

A suitable quiz would be about civil liberties, voting, taxation, health system, basic manners, womens/workers/minority rights, stuff like that. If people were more aware of the political process and encouraged to participate, perhaps they would be less likely to listen to crazed demagogues and blow up buses and trains.