After two days riding in Gunma on the weekend I realised that the sole of one of my boots is coming away from the boot itself. I have had these boots a few years and they have been OK but I think they are finally dead. Originally it was just the back heel of the sole that comes up the back of the boot but now the whole sole is coming away. A real hassle.

I only ride the park when there is no pow and am basically into freeriding. If anyone has any suggestions for new boots then please let me know. I wear strap-in Burton custom bindings and my old boots were 32 Peter Lines. I dont have super huge feet so hopefully it wont be a problem finding sizes.

Has anyone tried those boots with the wire lacing system? If so, are they recommended or?

Also, specific shops I should be heading to.

Cheers in advance.

I like my Salomon Malamute boots, fit well, comfortable and no problems so far.

Surprising, but Victoria (Jinbocho, Shinjuku, etc) often has good deals. If you have a Victoria card, you can get 5000 yen off when buying boots (they were running a sale campaign when I bought mine). I'd check out their main Jinbocho store for best selection.

My wife has Vans with the Boa laces, and mine are K2 with Boa laces...I would definitely recommend them if you are not into the park/pipe scene. They are much much quicker to get into/out of. The only drawback is you have to reach down and tighten them up every hour or so - they don't loosen much - only a few clicks, but they do loosen up by themselves...Momo usually loosens her's up on gondola rides and then retightens them up at the top - only takes a few seconds. Another friend loosens his on the lifts but I usually just leave mine alone until lunch breaks etc...

By the way - they are probably good for the park/pipe - I use mine for jumps but then again, I don't get big air/do a lot of tricks etc. I only mentioned that cause I've heard some people like to adjust their laces loose on the bottom/tight on top etc, which is something you can't do with Boa laces - it all tightens equally...

I love my Vans Fargo BOAs. If I crank them down I can go through the day without much in the way of adjustment. They are the right amount of stiffness and fit quite well. After 30 days they are still in near perfect shape (a little cut up on my back foot from resting my board though).

I have ridden Salomon Malamutes in the past and rec those as well. Basically it just comes down to fit and desired stiffness. Northwave boots don't fit my feet very well but I have heard good things about them as well.

Thanks for the fast responses. I have to make a trip to the snowboard shop this week so that i can make it up the hill this weekend if it dumps.

Its hard buying boots and takes time but I guess I have to do it. Just sitting down and trying on lots of boots is great but you still dont know exactly how they will perform until you get up the hill in the end.

Ender, how was Niseko?

Just got the Burton DRIVER model in size US 11.5.

They are a sick boot. And have retractable ice picks on the toes that will help you with ya hiking. Just have to watch out that they don't flip over when you are stomping your back foot on ya board at the lift.

I have taken my back foot picks off until I go to a place where I need to hike.

I got a sick deal on my boots but they go for 38,000 Yen RRP.

The lower model, Freestyles did me for 3 solid seasons & I highly recommend them.

Hey woywoy - Niseko was outta control. What a fun place to ride and to hang out. Had I spent much time there last year I might have tried to do the whole season there this year instead of just 3 1/2 weeks. Had a great time riding with lots of cool people including forum members Snowboard_Freak, Mikazooki, Goemon, Talisker and a beer with Dims. I rode every day I was there which is really easy to do when you are a 10 minute walk from the gondola and can snowboard right up to the door on the way back. I highly recommend that anyone going up that way contact Niseko Powder Connection . They will definitely sort your trip better than anyone else up there.

Niseko is a fun place isnt it, ender. Just has a great village atmosphere as well. I have wanted to spend a season there for a long time! Over the past 4 years I have had many days riding up there but unfortunately havent been able to make it up there this season.

I really agree with you about "Niseko Powder Connection" ... they are the right people to choose for a Niseko trip and are the only true locals amongst the other tour companies up there. A good bunch of guys and girls running a quality operation with a sense of humour to boot.

i just got new boots last weekend from when i was on vacation in san diego...got some insane deals not only on boots but on soft wear too. got 32 tarrif boots for only $80.00. burton ronin ALS jackets (2 in light gray and deep brown) for only $79.00ea. ronin vent pants(deep brown) and burton cargos(taupe) for $79.00ea also. the 32 boots are awesome. they are not too bulky either which is what i was looking for. as for the fit, i had to go half a size above what i normally wear to get the snug fit i need. overall i was totally stoked on the kind of deals in the states they got right in the middle of the season.

I like my boots really stiff. Malamutes and Fargos are about as stiff as "soft" boots (not hard like ski boots) come. I can adjust the stiffness much easier with the BOA than with the laces on the malamutes. With laces they are either tight and the boot is stiff or the laces are loose and your stiffness goes to nothing. With the BOA you can make minute adjustments to keep the basic feel with just a little less stiffness, and then really crank it down when you want to rail.

I tried some 32 TM-Ones and while they were really comfortable, they basically just felt like I was wearing a skate shoe. Not nearly stiff enough for me.