Has anyone ever grown some rosemary big enough? Now I wonder how I can keep my rosemaries good. The problem is they are now in #8 (perhaps 8 inches in diameter) size pots but from the bottom of the pots, roots come out. Maybe I'd better transplant them into big pots but if it's bigger than #8 like #10, a bit hard to take them in and out everyday in winter to get some sunshine.(Even now it's kinda heavy) So if it's possible, I want to keep them in the #8 pots.

rosemary04.jpg

Can I take the rosemary out of the pot to cut some roots? If I cut the roots, do they die?

It's snowy land here, so I can't put them in my flowerbeds because of snow.

Thanks in advance.

Indosnm - looking forward to seeing the pics.

Maoriboy - when did you cut the roots? Do you think we can do it at this time of the year?

Lin - Yeah, but mine are not in a flowerbed. That's why I am worrying.

Thanks all.

\:\)

Doh!!! I forgot to add this link

Garden helper

might help you and any other budding lol.gif grower.

oh and a quote from another website

Plant site

Quote:

Maintaining a Potted Rosemary

Move your potted rosemary back outdoors once all danger of frost has past.

As with most potted plants, the soil in your rosemary pot will degenerate through watering and root growth. Repot at least once a year. Spring is a good time to repot your rosemary, but it should be fine no matter what time of year you get to it.

When the rosemary plant puts out considerable growth or looks like it just can't get enough water, it has outgrown its pot and needs to be transplanted into a larger one. If you want to maintain the size of your rosemary plant, root prune it by slicing off a couple of inches of the roots from the bottom and sides of the root ball and replanting in the same pot. Be sure to trim some of the top at the same time, to lessen the work load of the roots and the stress placed upon the trimmed plant. Then allow your repotted plant some time to regroup. It should reward you with many more seasons of snippings.

Great rosemary choices for growing and cooking.

So it seems you can indeed trim back the roots...please disregard my previous email :p