wakaranai.gif

Where are you going?

Ok, I have a question and I need your help... I am trying to decide where to go tomorrow... however I fear I may have turned into a bit of a powder snob... you see, recently wherever I've gone, be it Niseko, Nagano, Ishikawa, Toyama, there usually comes a point in the day when the snow turns all crusty and it isn't much fun boarding. As it is sunny today I think the conditions are likely to be a bit shit in Ishikawa, what are all your opinions with regards to this? DO I need to go higher to find powder, eg Arai??? Are places ever good on sunny days??? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

hi genkijen,

I am also a powder snob. I do not deserve to be one but have quickly become one none the less.

From my limited understanding, I recommend that you seek out north facing slopes as they will have had less sun exposure and should be in better condition. Going higher also helps as does going to Nagano where the snow is dryer than it sometimes is in western Niigata.

To be honest, I do not even want to go tomorrow unless I can find some powder.

Quote:
Originally posted by genkijen:
I thought going to somewhere like Niseko or Myoko
they are two pretty different venues in terms geography. If one is shit it doesn't mean the other one will be.

Nvere beeon to Myoko but it is on my list. I keep hearing bits of info about how much off-course riding there is to be had there.

Eiji - That picture is cool

Sorry, I think I have been a bit confusing... I don't mean I am thinking of going to one of them this weekend, but a resort with a good rep and where I know there is good powder... I am thinking of sticking closer to home this weekend so I am gonna try and research a north facing slope, thanks for the advice,

good work ice eiji, now you're sorted! clap.gif

For what it is worth:

Today i pulled out my trust compass that has its own pocket on my boarding jacket. In the afternoon, all the slopes that had shade and had been that way all day still had good quality stuff on them. These slopes seemed to face somewhere in the arc from S to E.

On the flipside, all the melted bake-outs that went crusty in the afternoon were facing somewhere in the N to W arc.

from what i saw today, the south facing slopes fared far better than any other.