At Zao it is probably 80% gaijin that go out of bounds. We are usually surprised to see Japanese duck the ropes, and they generally get mucho respect from the Local foreigners if they do!

Also they are rarely Yamagata-Jin and more often up from Tokyo. Yamagata people are not the wildest bunch of rule-breakers, so the gaijin have to make up for it.

That said I take full responsibility. If something happens, it will be my fault, not the fault of the ski patrol for putting their barriers in the wrong place. At the end of the day I chose to duck the barriers...its my fault!

But it so much more fun than being on piste!

oldspice - the kagura area is generally thought to be the best place up there, as well as Naeba.

Other places that are worth a try are Kandatsu, Iwappara. Gala when it's not busy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you my fave eating place -- right near the Ropeway bottom a place called Ninjin does killer katsu set meals. It's a well known place by all accounts, and deserved too. Top tip is the hire-katsu teishoku @1600 yen. Go there with an empty stomach