Spent 2 hours on the beach last night before the kids got bored. The place I thought would be dark and quiet may have been too busy because of the weekend. There were some distant fireworks being shot off and a few beach parties and although there was lots of dark space, I bet the turtles had second thoughts about going out (of the water) on a Saturday night...

Fjef- Sorry to hear you couldn`t get a sighting at the weekend, I also spent Saturday day and night at the beach there, was pretty busy and as you sadi were a few fireworks and parties going on along the beach at variuos locations so not best conditons. There was a sighting near Onjuku but I didn`t catch it either. If you get chance try a week day night as should be quieter on the beach. Also it is still early so plenty of time.

Where is the squash court you were talking about also, have ben looking for a court for ages!!

The squash court is at Nakadaki - a kinda gaijin escape hang out where I used to have a weekend cabin before I moved to this area permanently - if you are into Squash, the courts are available any time. There are a few players around here who are always up for a game.

Nakadaki is near Ichinomiya at the south end of Kujukiri Beach.

Seen this?

TV station apologizes for making researcher dig up rare turtle eggs

KUMAMOTO -- Local television station TV Kumamoto has issued an apology for the actions of a cameraman who pressured a researcher to dig up eggs of a rare type of sea turtle so the station could film them for a program.

Station officials said a 44-year-old freelance cameraman in charge of news in Amakusa, Kumamoto Prefecture, approached a local researcher specializing in rare animals on June 21, asking him to dig up eggs of a loggerhead sea turtle.

The researcher initially refused the request, but he later complied after receiving repeated requests from the cameraman, and the eggs were filmed for a program broadcast on June 22.

The Environment Ministry designates loggerhead sea turtles as creatures that are "increasingly facing danger of extinction." Digging up their eggs can threaten their safety. TV Kumamoto broadcast an apology for the incident on Wednesday.

"There was a possibility of the eggs being damaged as a result of the investigations by the reporter, who had lacked knowledge," a TV Kumamoto production chief said. "We will make all possible considerations in the future when reporting on rare animals."

The turtle eggs were initially discovered by the researcher in another location on June 18. The following day he moved them to a safer location in the sand dunes so they wouldn't be trodden on.