Sorry for my general lack of knowledge about Southern Niigata resorts, but is there a place to stay that is comparable to Snowbeds in Hakuba or the Hirafu Chalet in Niseko? Some kind of under 3000 Yen a night for a bunk in a place with a cool vibe.

How close is everything there? Does it feel like Hakuba with everything within 15 minutes drive or is it a long way from Yuzawa to Naeba to Kagura? Is that entire area known as Yuzawa or is that its own entity.

Any other thoughts on the area are appreciated.

Yuzawa-machi is the first town in Niigata as you go north from Gunma/Minakami. In Yuzawa, there are 17 "resorts" - a few big like Naeba and Kagura, some middle/small sized places and some tiny.

Kagura Mitsumata Ropeway is a 10-15 minute or so car/bus ride from the main Echigo Yuzawa station, going further on Route 17 in the same direction for another 10 minutes or so and you'll find the Kagura Tashiro Ropeway. Another 10 minutes and you'll arrive at Naeba - so Naeba is about 30 minutes from Yuzawa station.

All of the other resorts are within 10 minutes of so of the station.

Gala has its own Shink station, 4 minutes or so on from the main Echigo Yuzawa station. Other resorts nearby are Yuzawa Kogen, Iwappara, Kandatsu Kogen, Yuzawa Nakazato, Yuzawa Park and some more (even smaller) ones.

Hope that helps.

About the place to stay - none that I know of, and I have asked around. I've stayed at Asahikan a few times and up at Naeba, nice places but a bit more than 3000 (5500 I think)

Thanks guys. Regarding lodging, Are there places to stay right at Naeba? Also, I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not you can stay at Snodecks. Is this a bar/restaurant only? A quick scan of their website found nothing about lodging.

I don't know any real cheap places either, but there are tons of places up there. (a few in mitsumata/tashiro and naeba on this site if you take a look). I'm sure if you asked Lorne up at Snodeck he'd be able to help as well..

I have stayed at a pensione style place not far from Yuzawa station that was pretty cheap, 3000yen a night. You get a free onsen at the hotel up the road but having a car is a must. "Yukitsubaki" is the name of the place but it gets booked out pretty quick.