That's what Compost say.

http://www.compost-records.com/

I didn't go but the last Jazzanova gig (album release tour) was mobbed at Yellow. My mate was on the guest list but turned up a bit late. The club was enforcing a strict one-out, one-in policy after 12 and there was still a massive queue outside. He gave up in the end. When its like that, it's not going to be very pleasant inside. Lots of smoke and little room to dance, I would bet.

If you're one of those gaijin that walks around without your gaijin card, note that the club check on the door and probably won't let you in.

The Okinos (KJM) play very often, so you can see them anytime. I've heard Dixon from Jazzanova DJ before at the KJM event Freedom Time in Osaka and he was really good, though their new album is disappointing. The remixes double CD remains the best one. For the Truby's on the decks, check out their DJ Kicks release.

Gilles Peterson is supposedly on this week too.

NoFakie,

Cheers for the info mate. Saw the same info on composts web site. Do you know about how to get advance tixs? Or is it day of the show only? Dont live in Tokyo so any info you give is really appreciated.

I just got Gilles Petersons new CD, GP 02 and its not bad. I prefered Phil Ashers PA 01 better though. You get Kyotos new release? Pretty nice. I agree, the new Jazzanova isnt so hot and opted to skip their show down here.

Are you planning on going to the show?

Cheers.

Not going to GP, I just saw it on the BBC Worldwide website. I listen to his show quite often. As an old techno head, it's funny to hear him play quirky techno ("click house") like Akufen and old-skool deep stuff like Pepe Bradock. It shows how things have come around.

If you can get near a computer on Monday morning, Patrick Forge's show on Kiss is pretty good too. More hiphop than GP.

I'm a long way from Tokyo as it happens, but now the Fakiewoman isn't working, raids on the capital are a definite possibility.

Yukihiro Fukutomi was on down the road in Matsumoto (!) last week, but I have done my knee in and so didn't make it. He's on his way to Morioka too, for any Tohoku jazz/jazzy house heads out there.

http://www.avexnet.or.jp/fukutomi/schedule/index.htm

I'll check out the Phil Asher CD. Thanks for the tip. My fave "club jazz" tune of the year is an extended remix of an old Finnish Bossa track from 1973 by Pekka Streng. It's on Breaks'n'Bossa 5. Hooks galore and a storming electric piano.

NoFakie,

Thats a great CD,Breaks'n'Bossa 5. I would say some of my favs are: Modaji, Phil Asher, K&D, UFO, too bad they split up although Toshio Matsuura is doing his solo thing which still makes me happy. Outcaste, The First 5 years and Too Untouchable are really worth checking out if you like a middle eastern flavor to this style music. Kinda like Ryukyu Underground which put out an Okinawa-flavor CD. Anything by the above mentioned are worth getting.

Cheers mate. cool.gif