Calling all Americans - football/soccer - like it?

Ocean11 -

Still pissed about losing the war? What is with your animosity against the US? Shall I bring up all of the stereotypes that represent the UK and sports(which I presume is where you're from). I personally love 'soccer' and am loving that the US has done so well. I find it funny that our success is annoying the hell out of everyone. Germany will be tough, but making the final 8 is a reward in itself. We are catching up on the national stage and the world is noticing - maybe just not most of the US - but it is baseball season (attempt at humor).

Oh, and your comment regarding American football; I've played both rugby and football at the collegiate level I can tell you that football is a much rougher sport. Rugby is a game of controlled aggression while football is flat out speed and ferocity. Have you even ever stepped on a field? Do you even grasp the rules of either sport?

By the way - I found Ocean's 11 rather boorish - that George Clooney and Brad Pitt are bloody ****ers. Your hypocricy is showing - spew filth regarding the US but go by the handle of a major hollywood movie based in a place that is purely American - Las Vegas.

and I'm a skier so let 'er rip!

Quote:
I find it funny that our success is annoying the hell out of everyone

Er no, I don't think people really care. That's just you thinking that people are annoyed at "your" (well done!) astounding success. Couldn't give a in reality.

[This message has been edited by Wizz (edited 19 June 2002).]

Let’s not get into a semantics war here – you knew the implied meaning. I apologize for coming off as so defensive, but I HAVE heard a lot of anti-American sentiments lately and our success in the world cup now has become a target of this also. Maybe you havne’t seen it, but I have.

This has been a great WC to watch and let’s just all enjoy the rest of it.

>I've played both rugby and football at the collegiate level I can tell you that football is a much rougher sport.

Yes, rougher but still lame...

> Rugby is a game of controlled aggression while football is flat out speed and ferocity.

I guess when I had my eye split open playing rugby for my school team it was as a result of that same controlled aggression.

> Have you even ever stepped on a field? Do you even grasp the rules of either sport?

No, never. Haven't a clue, me.

If you want to use difficult words like 'hypocrisy', it would be best if you learnt to spell them. And know what they mean - my handle comes from an old reggae song and has nothing to do with the recent cinematic extravaganza with those lovely hunks.

>spew filth

Oh come now, surely an exadgeration?

Quote:
This has been a great WC to watch and let's just all enjoy the rest of it.

Oh well, hey, if you say so Gohatto then lets do just that. Thanks so much!

Damn, I knew I would be off-target with your handle. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Just trying to poke some fun back.

Sorry about the spelling blunder too - trying to do 5 things at once at work and typing a bit fast for my taste. Hypocrisy - better?

As for football being lame - ummm, your opinion. Great and Thanks! I've also split my head open surfing and mt. biking - does this make these sports rougher? (perhaps I should invest in a helmet). Rugby is a great sport - American football is a great sport - football is a great sport....

....and skiing is a better sport than snowboarding and that is all that matters.

The mighty Gohatto has once again graced us with his enlightening, and frankly great, posts.

You must be absolutely shaking in your boots, Ocean. Poor you, rather you than me mate.

if I may chime in...

I went to roppongi to watch US v. Poland...and I felt like all the English there were searching for US fans to give us sh%t...no lovin' at all...it seemed like they were really getting off by watching poland beat the us...but that is just my perspective (and all the other us fans i met...)

just so you know...

danz

Thats right, danz.

I believe they sell some very nice traditional Japanese style cups at the souvenir shops in Narita Airport. They're quite cheap too. So they don't even need to go shopping in town - they can buy their cup on the way home. One each even!

smile.gif