on a slightly different topic, when I was in the US I was a clif bar addict for most outdoor activities.

here in japan, there aren't really good 'bars' and the only ones out there are the horribly overpriced diet ones.

do you guys know of any good powerbar-like snacks available here that are generally portable, semi-nutritious and can be eaten with one hand? (for use on a bike or rollerblades)

Check out the power bar section at most conbinis. The perfect plus selection aren't bad. The selections are getting better by the month for other brands as well. Might want to check out sports stores, they usually have an ok selection of protein/power/supplement stuff, although obviously less than the U.S.

I've had perfect plus before now.

In winter around resorts you'll see a huge selection of these energy drinks and foods in 7-11s etc.

Amino vital are rather short on anything useful, esp. for the price. The weider stuff, complete rip-off.

I'm guessing snickers and kit kats comments to be tongue in cheek, but I guess snickers to be better, given the high fat content of the nutty bits.

miteyak, which planet do you come from? What, in Somerset chocolate and toffee doesn't count as energy food? Snort.

A few weeks ago, I was at a party talking to an American acquaintance who is fit. While we talked, I ate three large helpings of fruit trifle while he had a small one. As I scarfed down my custard and cream, he said 'Ocean11, that's your third helping'. Facetiously I said 'Yeah, but it's only fruit'. In all seriousness he replied 'But Ocean11, fruit is nearly all sugar.'

This kind of person really can't be helped. Obviously it's the way they've been brought up.

Your right, ocey, the snickers will sure as hell get yer through the cold lift ride to the cafeteria for that morning beer. Lord, I can be tho thtupid sometimes. Snort

I guess that custard diet is how you stay so slim!

As for me being the ambassador for the county I was cruelly confined to for the first eighteen years of me cider drinkin existence...

[This message has been edited by miteyak (edited 24 May 2002).]

I bet you all listen to the Wurzels in secret. Somerset in the 80s though. Viv, Joel and Both. What a cricket team!

If you want amino acids, forget amino vital. Eat dried squid! The hardcore super dry squidy ones that haven't been sweetened are 80% protein. The softer, sweetened ones (or beef jerky) are around 40% protein, which is still well above what you get with "conventional" high protein foods like tuna or chicken breast. Sure makes you thirsty though.

I think you're confusing protein quality and range of aminos with content. A lean chicken breast, unprepared, is practically all protein. Beef does, however, contain a larger range of aminos. (Not as much as dairy, though).

Beef jerky, great protein if the salt don't kill ya.

But it's missing the point. Hi protein is most certainly not high energy. Protein is poorly metabolized into energy, so not a good power booster. In a power bar (for energy), you should be looking for no more than 20% protein. Even then, it's primary purpose would be to create a favorable glycemic index for stable metabolism. Need a bar with a healthy balance of carbs, non-simple sugars and protein, maybe even a li'le fat.

Home Ec 101- li'le bumpkins nursery school, Somerset

Hope I got the terminology right, it's been thirty years...