I learnt to ski in the Himalayas! (The Indian side, Manali, a place well known to any smoker who knows his salt).

It cost 100 dollars for 5 days, including a 3 star hotel with breakfast and dinner, plus all ski rental!

lifts?!?! in India??!?!

I dont know about Kashmir (where no-one can go anyway), but on the Indian side there were no resorts or lifts at all. This was in early 1997. We just used to walk back up the (very small) slope in our skis. Aye, times were 'ard in my day. Lift? We were lucky to even have skis!

My instructor (who reckoned he was going to ski for India in the Nagano Olympics), did all his skiing via helicopter(!) Apparently a lot of high flyers from Bombay and Delhi would come up and do Heli skiing, and he was the man to teach them. The words '****er' and 'jammy' spring to mind.

On one day of my ski course, this rich dude from Delhi came up and we all had a piss up and dinner at his hotel in the evening. Interestingly, the ski instructor, who was normally really loud and brash, became ultra-meek and subservient in this situation due to the caste system etc.

My conclusion is that the place is better for the scenery than the skiing, however I'm sure the heli skiing is much cheaper than it would be elsewhere in the world. Can't comment on its quality though.

there are definately lifts at GULMARG. there is a pic of a kid on one in the above article, & i did some searching - there is a gondola too. but i'm not about to go there without finding some stats first \:D

Anyway Kashmir is a very dangerous place for foriegners. That was the situation in 1997 and I dont think it has got much better.

Going there would bring a whole new meaning to the term 'going out-of-bounds' - and you'd need more than snow shoes to get out there! lol.gif