Ski area opening & closing dates
Here's something completely new for this year.
On ski area information pages within SnowJapan, we have added the actual opening and closing dates for the 2021-2022 season as we all as the proposed opening and closing dates for the upcoming 2022-2023 season.
What we used to do (on the old site)
Previously, once a winter season was finished, we left the opening and closing dates untouched until the autumn months. Then, we gradually updated the information when specific dates became available (September through December).
What we are doing now (on the new site)
Take a look at this page, near the top:
Friday 23rd December 2022 until early April 2023
2021-2022 season (actual): 24th December 2021 - 3rd April 2022
The red text shows the upcoming season's planned opening and closing dates.
The blue text shows the actual opening date and the closing date for the 2021-2022 winter season that has just finished.
This information can now be found on all of the 470+ ski area pages on SnowJapan.
About the planned dates for the 2022-2023 season
- The planned season dates are all subject to change (and some probably will).
- Most ski areas have not yet announced their specific planned opening and closing dates for the 2022-2023 season.
- The dates shown are either based on information from ski areas or based on previous recent seasons.
- Most ski areas will announce specific dates later in the year, usually between September and December.
- We will gradually update specific season dates on SnowJapan as we discover available updated information.
- Those updates will mostly happen between September and December.
- It is a manual process.
About the actual dates for the 2021-2022 season
- This information is new for SnowJapan.
- We collected this information from official sources, including websites, social media, town websites, etc.
- Where official information was not available, we used other unofficial social media sources, searched, and made phone calls to discover dates.
- Even with our deep-dive search, it has been impossible to find actual dates for about 20 small ski areas.
- We have some other plans for this data. (More on that at a later date).
- We plan to check and update this information in May every year from now on.