any one use NTT ADSL modem?

strange question, but my internet is down and I think it might be the modem. At the tope of the modem there is a green labelled "Line". Is this supposed to be on all the time? I cant if it is normally on (I dont look at the modem much). I know it is not supposed to flash, but what about always on?

Any help appreciated, I am in big trouble without my home internet.

cheers

I've got one. I don't like the way it gives off a constant high-pitched noise.

When it's working, there should be three lights on, Power, Link and Line Link. The latter two blink when they're establishing a connection.

Check that all the cables are going into the right sockets, and check all your settings again. Turning everything off and starting up again helps too. I seem to remember that you're supposed to have the moden switched on before you boot up. I have a router that complicates matters further.

thanks for the advice. It turns out that my ever efficient girlfriend had hidden the october bill when she was cleaning the house, hence it went unpaid. I am glad that is all it was and not a hardware problem. Does anyone else have this problem? You come home, check the mail, put the bills on the table, get up the next day and the bills are out of sight, but you dont notice. I have to see a bill to remember to pay it where as my girlf needs to not be able to see something to regard the kitchen as clean. If there is something on the table then she puts it somewhere, anywhere, so long as it cant be seen. There, nice and clean.. You would think that she would have learnt by now that all important things get stuffed into the fruit bowl for attention later on!

Ocean, I to have a router (lynksys) and man, does that thing confuse me. It took me 1 week to work out how to configure it all, router, modem, splitter, computers. Now I never touch it (or look at it) hence my confusion at which lights should be on and off. I had never even heard of ADSL before I came here

The Minister of Finance and Economics looks after all of that. It's just when the maid has come and 'tidied' my well-organized office that I have fits of amnesia.

Setting up the router was indeed hell. I read the manual. I did everything it said. I called the service center. I told the young lady not to muck about, to get somebody that knew what they were up to, and she then talked me through the manual. It didn't work. I began to get angry and demanded a tech guy. The tech guy then told me I needed to put in the numeric IP address, a step which was specifically forbidden by the manual. It worked! If I hadn't got angry, I'd still be mucking about now.

Wow, if you poor fools are having trouble with a Linksys router I'd like to see you try to set up some real network hardware. Those Linkies are so nice and friendly with their web based setup utilities. Beats text based telneting into a router to set up routing tables from a command prompt \:\)