I read in the Christchurch "Press" that Parliament in New Zealand is considering another "Death with Dignity" Bill. One in 1995 did not pass, but there seems to be stronger support this time around.

What do you think? yes or no?

I'm still not sure why it requires the help of a doctor to kill yourself. With a bit of research you can find plenty of toxins that will do the job, or even doing without food and liquid will kill you in a few days if you're that set on it.

For an issue that serious, why the need to involve doctors in the matter? Isn't that just a rather lame requirement to shift the burden of responsibility onto somebody else?

You need to keep in mind that a lot of the people who did want to call it quits would be elderly people who aren't able to do research etc for whatever reason.

But for those who are able bodied and minded then yeah sure they could do some research and do it very easily. You wouldn't even need to do research if you didn't want to.

For some, i think they would prefer a doctor to be involved because of religious reasons. I don't agree with this at all, but there will be some with this state of mind. Other people may not like the idea of offing themselves, they may not be able to bring themselves to do it.

INSURANCE may be another reason. getting a doctor to do tha job would ensure tha family gets tha dough!

DIGNITY my friend is tha key here. starvin yaself of food and drink will do tha job, but where`s tha dignity in that? now, saying your last good-byes and lookin peeps in tha eye before ya slowly drift off into neva neva land, has a fair amount of dignity, wouldn`t you agree??

just a thought...

i disagree. its not a matter of being tired of life,,, life is tired of you!

not everyone wants to spend their last days totally incoherent and dependant on others. just tha thought of having to be spoon fed AGAIN, and taken to tha loo...uuugghh \:o

Dependency is the point entirely - everybody wants to depend on their doctor, even so far as having the poor bastard kill you which is not supposed to be his job.

How far do you want to go with this? What's to stop some miserable teenager pestering their doctor to help them out of this vale of tears?

Not necessarily. I just have a few questions about it.

My grandma had a go at topping herself and didn't make a very expert job of it, and it's an option that I may take at some stage (although not soon - sorry to disappoint :p ).

I'm not convinced that it's really necessary or desirable.