kamoshika - are you a geologist??

or in a related or similar field? I like geology but chose geomorphology as my field of study. I just liked studying the dynamics of the Earth vs. the structure. I specifically studied glaciers and spent a summer in Alaska (Juneau Icefield). I also have a lot of experience in land and mudslide geomorph. Fascinating stuff!

Ping Pong yep i studied geology/geography at University. I love field work but hate book work which is why I never did a Masters, couldnt wait to escape from University and head for Colorado for skiing and never went back (to school)and then ended up here in Japan.

I studied Coastal and Glacial in Geog. And in Geol I did Sedimentolgy, Geophysics, Eng Geol, Metamorphic and Igneous Geology and Structural geology.

I have always been into that kind of stuff so thats why I studied it, but studying it wasnt as I expected and you need a Masters or Phd to do anything in that field and I am slipping further and further away from that now.

Those pure disciplines are also limited as far as work, most end up as research and faculty at University.

As far a glacialolgy, thats some interesting stuff, my lecturer (Canadian) did her Phd on the Hubbard glacier

Glad another rock nerd is on here \:\) I started in geology but it also wasn't what I expected. I really didn't give a crap about the miller indicies of amphibole and therefore switched over to geomorph. Much more interesting in my opinion. I did get my masters in it, but still have yet to find any gainful employment in glacier related fields. You really need a PhD these days to pursue a field as obscure and small as that. Instead, all of the technology I used in my thesis (gis, gps, photo recon) got me my current job here in Japan. It's fun, but I'd still love to do way more field work. A good friend of mine (Canadian) is currently doing his masters on avalanche studies. He actually gets to ski and receive credit! Now he's got it wired!

I'm really thinking about going back for my PhD here soon. Being chained to a computer for 8 hours a day isn't exactly my idea of fun or a life. Making maps is great, but I'd rather do it for something meaningful other than noise contours of an airfield. I need to see if IntraWest needs a map guy in the states.