Hello wave.gif

I hear this phrase and read a description of it but cannot get nuance meaning. Why do people ask it? And what does answer really mean?

Can anyone explain it to me?

Thank you

A glass that is half full is also half empty.

half full = half empty

optomist vs. pessimist

The explanation goes:

If a person sees a glass and says that glass is half full, you can bet he or she is an optomistic (positive) person, because he/she is focusing on the positive aspects of the glass. If a person sees a glass and says that glass is half empty, you can bet he or she is a negative person, because he/she is focusing on the negative aspect of the glass.

or maybe the person who made this up was half in the bag, since I never talk about half empty/full glasses of anything.

You married a man who is nice, kind, a good cook, and a caring father. But in bed he doesn't satisfy you. Can you be happy?

If you can be happy, your glass is half full. If not, your glass is half empty, and you may be looking for ways of topping it up a bit.

Your glass is half full if you admit that it is half empty but see the positive side of it as it was half full with camel urine in the first place. After all, who wants a full glass of camel piss.

The glass is half empty if you are in the middle of watching a rugby match on the box, your team is down 1 point, on the offensive and the tension is so great you are constantly sipping that damn beer.

The glass is half full if it is your 14th drink for the night and you are already having trouble standing!