Quote:
Originally posted by Teledude:
Screw the gear, you should get some education before anything, navigation, avy classes and all. THEN and only then should you start thinking about what you need to get out there. And leave the Heli for those posers who can't get there and back by themselves...
read my very first post again, if you will. I said:

"Each season will build on the previous and for my first season I am going to spend the bulk of my 2 week snow time doing a solid BC/av course. Over the next 6 months I want to slowly gather the required equipment"

ARAC certification, about 40 hours of classes/field time:
http://www.avalanche.ca/rac/index.html

As for the heli.... no way! If I offered you a free ride up in the bird would you knock it back for the sake of not wanting to be a poser? Next season I plan to end my av course weeks with a few heli trips. Why? Just to spoil myself, and I want to spit out the door whilst flying above the snow to see if my spittle transforms into a snowflake.

In short, my entire snow season will be taken up doing a course in Canada (unless I can find an English speaking course in Europe, for example: European Avalanche School ). Care to join me? Or have you already done the 40 hour course?

ps - considering that I am not part of an experienced BC gang of guys I have no choice but to simply pay up for a course like this.... and hopefully I will meet some crew whilst doing it.