Ooooh a religious discussion, but as Ender pointed the poll is flawed. I believe in the concept of Heaven and Hell. But am going to neither as I believe they exist in our hearts and minds but not in reality. I believe in H&H just like I believe in the concept of Santa Claus, We want him to exist in reality but he exists only in our hearts and minds.

Just like I acknowledge the existence of God. He exists but as a concept, a justification for our own existence.

Humanity yearns for answers for the deepest questions of all and the enigma of God can help satisfy and give `Faith` to a great many people in this world.

Having God and Heaven gives them hope and meaning in their lives, to live happily and contently, it controls and guides, the most powerful form of control on Earth.

I cannot disprove or prove anything, but through study and experience I have formed my thoughts and beliefs.

I studied Paleontology in Geology so have seen evolution in the fossil record. I have read books, been to church and contemplated it all.

God Heaven and Hell all exist but in our minds and when I leave this world I will be gone, cease to exist. This doesnt scare me, I am not afraid.

Why was I here in the first place?, what was the point?, it would be great to know, sometimes I think we already know and its dissapoints us greatly so we keep searching for more answers.

Heaven is for eternity, but think about it, eternity go forever in both directions. not just foward from the point of your creation. If you live for eternity then you must have existed before you were born. Eternity is an awful long time you could read every written word ever printed in history a trillion times over, speak to a billion people a billion times and eternity hasnt even even flinched. There is no end and even in the paradise of Heaven you would soon get bored and tired and want it all to stop.

You may laugh a me, you may agree, it doesnt matter, but what really matters is how we go about our lives and we interact and treat others and our environment. God and religion has laid a lot of sensble rules out that give guidance,

Love thy neighbour, thou shall not steal etc.

accept you own destiny and live fairly and honourably until it comes....and enjoy the sweet feel of a quiet mountain coated in butterluscious powder snow in between for that is heaven.

Just like to point out... Ol' Albert had to say the former so as not to be lynched for the latter...

Athiest through and through, like all well educated rationalists should be... \:D

Kamoshika, love the heaven/hell/santa analogy, but you forgot the part about growing out of believing in it... ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
love the heaven/hell/santa analogy, but you forgot the part about growing out of believing in it...
bad analogy, but my point was you cant ignore the concept of something whether its tangible and very real or ficticious.

Many reglious concepts and ideas have had massive and powerful consequences in this world. We cant ignore them and we have to learn to have more tolerance of other peoples ideas.

Reading the past few posts its appears we are disagreeing, but this is a difficult topic to thoroughly delineate. I do believe we are on the same team I just have a crappy way with words at times, the mind is willing but the typing fingers not

You are right about the tolerance of Athiests.

Most Athesist mind their own business and dont cause trouble they co exist in happiness

When I said "we" I meant eveyone, Hindus to Jews to Christians to Joe six pack.

Everyone especially Religious people need to be more tolerant and accept the beliefs of others.

I would like to think I am a rationalist/logical positivist. but I do acknowledge what others believe and God is too massive a concept to discredit and deny his existence which a true athiest typically does.

Millions of people believe and live their lives by God (and other deities) and thats too big and empowering to ignore and deny. He has to exist because if he doesnt then what are all those people doing?, but his existence is metaphysical and in the hearts and souls of those who believe.

So the rationlist in me acknowledges them but accepts what is invariably the truth.

I hope I am making sense, this is deep stuff

P.S

That put that Einstein quote in my signature earlier today as I saw it elsewhere earlier today and it made me smile, its coincidence this thread come along tonight :p