Used to be, the fiction was that you were supposed to believe what you saw...

Then, after some movies like "Network" came out exposing the idiot scripts behind everything and a new, media-savvy generation grew up, you were supposed to take everything with a grain of salt, but I think you were still supposed to watch it.

Now it's much later, and look what we get...the following text appearing on the Drudge Report site:

"EMOTIONAL GEN. WES CLARK '60 MINS II' DAN RATHER INTERVIEW TONIGHT: MISTS UP, TEAR FORMS, DOES NOT FALL DOWN CHEEK; A SIDE OF HIM WE HAVE NEVER SEEN, SOURCES TELL DRUDGE... DEM CANDIDATE ASKED ABOUT KOSOVO AND CLEANSING. CBS CAMERA GOES FOR CLOSE-UP. TEARS, NO CRYING; SHOWS PICTURES OF DEAD CHILDREN... DEVELOPING..."

I really don't know what to make of it. What is this?

Do they now just publish their post-it notes of what they used to hope to script, stage and put on the big screen?

Is it that everybody knows it's all fake infotainment puffery and broad-brush, lowest-common-denominator button-pushing...especially with elections coming up...so that it's better for everyone if they just print a telegraphic, shorthand account of what we were supposed to see and ahem feel?

WTF?!?!

I just don't get it.

But I'm glad I saw it.

:rolleyes: