I've got a website that I'd like to use mainly for my family back 'ome.

I'd like to do more with it but can't be bothered to update it. It's old skool html. So I was thinking of reworking it as one of those webloggy thingies or anything that'll make it easier to get more stuff up there.

Anyway, does any web savvy person have any recommendations about software, blog services, or whatever? I've got my own domain and hosting that I want to use. No adverts if poss. Offline generation might be nice since I may I move somewhere where there's only dialup. Japanese compliant and Japanese input interface would be good for my missus.

Anybody?

PS My host is called Snaphost and this is what they've got. Doesn't mean much to me.

Quote:
ASP.NET support

ASP.NET is a programming framework built on the common language runtime that can be used on a server to build powerful Web applications. ASP.NET combines unprecedented developer productivity with performance, reliability, and deployment. Learn more about ASP.NET at www.asp.net.

ASP support

Our Windows 2000 and Windows NT web servers are configured to fully support web sites and applications that use ASP. Our Internet Information Server (IIS) configurations are tweaked for maximum ASP performance and security. We also provide full customer support for ASP-related technical issues.

CGI/Perl support

Our web servers are loaded with the latest version of Perl, on both UNIX and Windows platforms. The ActivePerl Windows package also includes Perl for ISAPI - this IIS plug-in enhances the speed of standard Perl and CGI PerlScript - the ActiveX scripting engine for Perl.

PHP support

PHP is a popular server-side HTML-embedded scripting language. PHP can collect form data, generate dynamic page content and process cookies. PHP borrows from the best of the Perl and C worlds, and has hundreds of built-in functions to simplify most common tasks.

How about putting a message board up there, just like this one here? or would you rather have a blog? CGI support is good for running your own message boards, chats, all kinds of stuff.

here's a link to some free Perl CGI boards or PHP since your site supports both types, just read up about it, there are no ads with these. If you dont know how, you can always get the "remote hosted" message boards which may contain ads but you can pay a small amount for their "no ads" version. But I would suggest you read up on how to take care of your own CGIs, its fairly simple...

http://www.thefreecountry.com/perlscripts/messageboards.shtml

there are many other places to find free downloadable CGI scripts for your own boards, just search.

If you have hosting already, then you just need to make the page. You dont need to use PHP, CGI etc unless you are making it very interactive.

So you should get Dreamweaver and use that make your pages. It cuts out the need to type HTML and its 'what you see is what you get.' It can also do stuff with cgi/php etc if you want to do that later.

Basically it sounds like you just want an easy way to make cool pages - you need Dreamweaver. Try and Fireworks too, for making graphics/buttons etc and editing images.

That's very impressive bob. FWIW I've been diving in Coron myself. Did you do the wreck dives? I also saw a "mister lady" beauty contest there which was hilarious.

Unfortunately, I'm not artistically inclined, so if I tried to emulate your site, I'd end up spending at least a month deciding on the picture in the header and another month trying to position it. In that time, I'd look at lots of websites for advice and my heap of sh!te website would remain in its sorry state saying "Happy New Year 2003" or whatever it is at the moment.

I like the blog idea because you can post something easily and it gets archived automatically. Something on a similar level to this forum. Write it and bang! its there. I don't have the patience or the ability to do something original and visually attractive. I suppose what I want to know is whether it's easier to go through a Blogger-type service or to use some offline program that can do the same thing. Next door in Otari, its dialup or semi-broadband over cable radio, so bandwidth may be an issue someday.

If you don't particularly care about using your own url (eg NoFakie.com) there are tons of free weblog services, many which of which you can just sign up with and blog away, like here

http://weblogs.us/

If you have your own url and want to use it for your personal site, you can either:

*purchase and install a commercial package, such as MoveableType

http://www.movabletype.org/

*look for an free open-source package and install it yourself. one example are the PHP scripts you can find here:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Blog/index.html

You could also install a message board, or create static html files yourself, but neither sounds optimal in your case...

Alas I didnt do a dive in Coron, I was with my mate and he didnt want to dive at that time so stupidly I put it off. I did a dive in Borocay but it sucked bigtime. I wanna go back someday, Palawan as a whole was incredible, especially the El Nido area which is paradise on earth.

I have been working on that site on and off since about March, but the overall design itself didnt take too long. You can make picture galleries dead easy autmoatically in photoshop or fireworks, just select the folder and a few options and it makes all the pages, thumbnails etc by itself. Ive never used a blog or even seen one so I dunno about all that.