nice beach near Osaka - exists?

I'm off to Osaka for the long weekend. Are there any nice beachey areas accessible around there?

I've seen all the sights of Kansai already so I just wanna relax, at a beach or anywhere cool.

It's not so close to Osaka, but if you go up the west coast of Lake Biwa, there's a beach that's not bad around Shiga station on the JR line. There are no shops or anything, but maybe a lot of jetskiers at the weekend \:\( . You can see Kansai's mighty ski resorts from there as well.

If you want the sea, it's Wakayama or west of Kobe.

The best beaches at Biwako are around Omimaiko, but yes, they are completely ruined by jetskiers. In fact Biwako as a whole is nearly completely ruined by them.

Wakayama has some nice beaches, though fewer than last year apparently (see the local beach thread).

Going to Osaka and looking for a beach seem rather incompatible goals however...

i know but im getting a lift down. the gion matsuri is on in kyoto, but after that i wanna go somewhere relaxing. i'll check out omimaiko, cheers.

Kata and Isonoura near Wakayama are the nest two beaches in the vicinity. Isonoura is a wide strip of beach popular with surfers, and is fun when there're waves. A good 'beach' feel to it in season. Kata, the next beach along, is smaller with nicer sand and a deeper bay, but no waves. More of a family beach, whereas Isonoura attracts a youthful crowd.

Both these beaches are accessed by taking a train to Wakayama city, and then doubling back a little on a separate local line, the name escapes me, but just ask for the beach names above at the station. About one and a half hours from namba I think.

On the Nankai line between Osaka and Wakayama, there's a string of beaches of mixed quality. Pichi pichi isn't bad, with a good harbour style bay to swim in and a nice stretch of sand. For the forty or so minutes it takes to get there it's a good option for a fast getaway.

On a weekday, Suma(near Kobe) can be OK, but a zoo on weekends. The dirtiest of the local beaches by far (although apparently cleaned up this year).