Something I really don't like.

One thing that really annoys me, no matter how hard I try not to be annoyed by it, is the way Japanese seem to be obsessed with how they are viewed by people overseas. Countless examples, as I'm sure everyone knows. There's a series on tv in our region now about South Korea and they are spending 2 days looking at "South Korean peoples views on Japan and Japanese people". It's just ridiculous. mad.gif

I dunno it's as if they're obssessed. A series of programs on South Korea, and all that they could possibly do - culture, tourist spots, food, etc etc - and they spend half of their time simply asking people "what's your impression of Japan". Doesn't that seem strange to you? Perhaps I'm just in a bit of a mood today.

It doesn't surprise me.

"Whats your impression of Japan" is one of those questions that gets asked a lot. If they like the answer, they listen. If they don't like the answer, it is dismissed.

Ranks up there with "Can you use chopsticks", and the favorite "Japanese is very difficult, isn't it." question (the one that is obviously not a question).

There could perhaps really be two opinions:

- (Mostly from the teenagers) Japanese pop culture/TV dramas/idols are hip

- (Mostly from the politicians) Koreans should not forget the past and should continue to [substitute negative feeling] Japan.

Whatever the view, it is pleasing to hear: “They may not like us but they admire us.”

There are of course others who genuinely like to know what others think about them. I haven’t seen those programmes.