Hey All. Just wondering if anyone can help me out. A goup of us is heading up to Sapporo tomorrow for a week. Can anyone give me any advice on some of the better resorts within daytrip striking distance from Sapporo. I'm really keen to hit up Rusutsu but access seems to be a little slow and quite expensive. Travelling time under two hours each way would be preferable. No probs withs Japanese public transport system as i've been living here for 8 months or so.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers \:\)

Definitely not as close to Sapporo as those mentioned by quattro, but Tomamu is around 90 mins by train from S. JR station. It's not the best resort of the world, but it's ok, especially if you have beginners in your group.

One of the nice things about Tomamu, if you are going on a day-trip, is that the closest ski-lift is literally 30 meters from where you get off the train I remember, but it could be more or less depending on which carriage you are in. And that ski lift is 20 meters from the station entrance.

Teine and Kokusai are very close to Sapporo. Kiroro is a bit further away. I think about an extra hour away from Sapporo than Teine Highland.

Check out Sapporo Kokusai or Kiroro. You can get a fairly cheap round-trip bus and day lift ticket deal (4500-5500yen?). The bus to Sapporo Kokusai starts at the bus terminal in the JR Sapporo-eki, and makes stops in town up until Makomanai. The bus to Kiroro starts from the bus terminal near the TV tower ("bus center") and heads almost directly for the expressway... you should be able to find a winter ski-bus schedule at either bus terminal.

If you're staying out toward Miyanosawa, you can catch a free shuttle bus to Onze (check out their website for the schedule). The bus stop is just outside the big department store that is above the Miyanosawa subway station. Onze is pretty small, but not very crowded.

Never managed to get to Teine... I think there's a bus from the Miyanosawa bus terminal.

When I'm in Sapporo and have a free weekday, or finish whatever work I happen to be doing there early, I'll usually hop the first bus to Kiroro or Sapporo Kokusai and still be back in town for dinner. I'll be in Sapporo from the 16th through the 26th, but I think that's after you'll be there.

\:\)

...Oh, yeah, Kiroro is pretty hard and crusty unless they've had a good overnight dump and it's cold. Sapporo Kokusai is generally pretty nice unless there have been a few warm days, which is pretty rare. Kiroro's key advantage is SIZE.

\:D