Yonks ago I stayed at a place called Canada Lodge , or something like that, and it was very nice. The managers were very friendly and the food was incredibly enjoyable. Price was reasonable, not a luxury style of place, just nice and comfortable. It is near some lifts in the Myoko area. I think it is in the accommodation section of that website called snowjapan.com

Yes, that's the place, sorry for the delay. On the weekend whilst drunkenly talking what type of kotatsu I would custom build into a future house I remembered the one at the Canadian Lodge. I couldn't explain it properly so we looked up the website and blow me down, they have a picture of it! Its a ripper. That reminded me about this thread.

irori31.jpg

Its a classic Japanese website. But good there is some English. It has a Libraly and a bar called Louise.

Keep in mind I was there 4 years ago and sevice, value etc may have changed.

I'm not sure its in the area you are after. From very bad memory, I think it was close to the area marked Akakura Onsen on this map. From the lodge that place is a 5 minute walk. I also walked further south to Myoko Suginohara and it took about 30 minutes. I was there in late October just for a weekend out of Tokyo and there was no snow....... until the evening when in true Japan style it put down almost 2 feet over night at high elevations. I was a fresh out of Australia and had never seen anything like it (in terms of dumpage). Around the lodge it was only 6 inches deep, but an hour of so walk up the hill under the lifts and overnight it had been converted to mid winter.

niigata-myoko.jpg