Im thinking of going to Canada next month and want to do the Rockies. Can anyone advise me on the best place to stay in order to have easy access to Lake Louise, Sunshine etc. Is it possible to get a hotel in Banff itself and still get easy access to the mountains?? Do you know of a good hotel or lodge? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Went there 3 years ago and stayed 2 weeks. Had rented a car in Calgary stayed in Banff and commuted to Sunshine, Norquay, Lake Louise (even Fernie once). If you have your own car, I think it is OK. I hear taking the various hotel buses can be a drag (u may have to pass through a number of other hotels before being on your way). Otherwise stayed at the Banff Caribou Lodge in Banff. It was reasonable at the time, clean and convenient (steak house just downstairs, was called the Keg or something like that). You should be able to get your lift tickets at a discount through the hotel where you are staying. Otherwise for the terrain, I liked Lake Louise and Sunshine. Norquay is probably better for skiers and quite small. If you like steeps, try the Delirium Dive at Sunshine (if there is enough snow, 'cos it tends to get swept away by the high winds at the top), but you will need to have a beacon and a buddy before they let you go through the gates. Last thing, it can get wickedly cold, so be ready to bundle-up real good... Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. I usally spend most of my time in Niseko, have you been there and how do Louise and Sunshine compare? Do you thinks its worth going all the way to Canada or would I be better off heading back to Hokkaido?

I guess there are many considerations to take into account, cost being one of them. It is also hard for me to pass judgement on canadian resorts having spent only 2 weeks there. But, my summary would be as follows: The terrain in Canada is much better: more challenging, better routes, steeper, off pist is managed and controlled properly. On the other hand Japan has a more reliable snow cover (YES, YES)but the terrain is not very challenging (my own opinion) and as soon as you go off-pist you get shouted/whistled at. I have not been to Niseko, so I cannot compare. The best is if you can time your trip to canada with good snow conditions if you can leave with short notice, otherwise it is a bit of a gamble. Anyway, Canadaian resorts are always great places to ski even if the snow is not at its best even for the discovery value. Banff was great (they also have hot springs in the region there), I also enjoyed the wildlife strolling around unharassed whereever you go. Views at Lake Louise are stunning as well. After having been there 3 years ago, my brother came to Japan last year to ski (Hakuba area)and is coming back this season (as a matter of fact picking him up in a couple of hours). We'll probably be hitting the Hakuba area, but maybe less-known resorts. By the way, Fernie was awsome, great steeps, ear-deep powder. If I go back to Canada, would be spending more time trying to hit the slopes around Fernie, Kicking Horse and the likes. Otherwise, lots of canadians on this forum might have a more experienced opinion on this (TOQUE, FATTWINS, etc...). Good luck.