Went there for a day from Hirafu this February for something different during the warm spell (temp was + 7C that day).

Our lodge ran us over there. Not sure whether they do 'pick-ups'.

Was like spring skiing. Hard at first, then nice then really slushing. Slope aspect was therefore critical.

Slopes are even flatter than Niseko and area is pretty small.

Probably wouldn't go back. But had fun and I imagine it would be good after a dump as you'd have the whole place pretty much to yourself.

Would probably only suggest if you are going to Hirafu for 10 days or more, but only after a dump.

If you only have one day-trip available, Rusutsu is heaps better.

Yer i think I'd like to give it a go . It would be nice to get away from the Aussie hordes at Niseko. Sometimes it's nice to sacrifice some on quality just to enjoy something different. Last year one of the best days i had was at Moiwa. Shorter flater runs but no crowds at all !! Freshhies all day.

Whats the go with the Cat ? Does it take you from the top of the lift to even higher up or what ?

The cat takes you to the top of what was the highest lift, when Weiss used to operate as a resort.

From there you can hike up higher and access terrain off both sides back towards the base of the mountain.

Just be careful you don't go too far either side, unless you are prepared to hike back into the resort.

Start close to the lifts and go a bit further each time as you work out 'the point of no return'. Not sure about off the back of Weiss.

It's flatter than Moiwa, but probably about the same size.

Weiss is definitely a good place to escape the crowds and is certainly 'something different'.

If possible, try and go after a good snowfall and make sure you get some photos for posting when you get back.

I'll try and get some of the photos people in our group took and post them here.

One option worth considering is skiing off the back of the peak at Hirafu down to the base of Weiss. It looks awesome. The day we were at Weiss a group of Aussies did exactly that. We could see them coming down.

Apparantly it wasn't too difficult to find the way. But it wouldn't be something I'd recommend doing without a guide. I believe one of the guiding companies out of Hirafu takes tours in this area and would be awesome. Not sure which one though.

Try Rusutsu too if you get a chance.