I was going along Route 17 near Koide on Thursday and saw some really weird snow formations at the side of the road. Like big blocks of snow, about 50cm cubed, put on top of each other - very regular in shape and lots of them. Like those strange concrete blocks you see on coastlines here.

Didn't have any time to stop but I took this pic. It's not the best example but you get the idea.

muikabochi_93.jpg

Any ideas on how it got like that?

They have run a digger along the pile of snow built up along the side of the road by the snow blowers through the winter. Breaking up the blanket speeds the thawing. Each block corresponds to one bucket load.

Thanks, yes that what I thought. It was just in a very strange position that seemed very inaccessible to machines. I suppose they do that from the road side then. I'd like to see it, some of those blocks are really bizarre looking. Like I said the photo isn't really a good example.

I once landed a jump in a pile of that at Nozawa. The bastards had just shoved a load of snow off a lip that people frequently launch off and not roped it off as a hazard.

Needless to say, it hurt it a great deal. I saw other people landing on it too. It's not much more forgiving than concrete...