hi to all,

My first post here! \:\)

I'm currently based in Osaka and was thinking of planning a day trip out probably within this holiday week, if possible. Have looked through the webpages in SnowJapan and I think resorts in Shiga and Kyoto are the nearest? Are there any recommended resorts for a good and reasonably affordable day trip out? =)

Also, do these day trips include the training course if i have absolutely no experience in skiing beforehand? How much are additional classes if required?

Thanks in advanced and Happy New Year to all =)

Welcome, girlOsaka.

I would like to recommend a friend in Hakuba. He frequently posts on these forums under the name of Fattwins. He is a Canadian (in case you need an English speaking instructor) and he is a good ski instructor and he owns a pension in Hakuba. If you email him, you can probably get a good deal set up.

As a total beginner(presumed) you cant really go past the current JR deals to shiga.

There are 2 options...

a) train,bus,lift ticket,bus,train X 2(ie 2 seperate days) or

b)train,bus,lift ticket(2days),bus,train. need to book accom for one night.

From memory costs

a) 5800 per each day trip, total of 11600.

B) 6300.

There are discounts associated with these tickets for lessons and hire I believe. English speaking instructor??

Im actually off there tomorrow for the second time, doing the 2day thing... 6300 is a bargin, terrain is not great but snow is snow and I need improve my fitness as last trip felt like Id been in a train wreak.

If your Japanese ain't so bad, consider going in a normal Japanese lesson - after all you don't need that much kotoba to get by.

Best of all is if you have any friends who are willing to help you out. I never had a lesson, my friends taught me.