Hey no way! That was us. We were there Monday aimlessly wondering around the nice village for a while, after deciding not to buy a ticket due to the strong wind, bad visibility and tired legs. Returned on Tuesday and went up: still really bad vis but no wind. We must have crossed paths on Monday? In fact, I remember on Monday seeing a girl and a guy walking along the snowy roads in town. The girl had skis on her shoulder and my GF in a moment of vagueness almost walked right into her, which amazed me as the street was otherwise empty. I was almost going to apologise on behalf of my GF.

Anyway, I have had a mixed but fantastic 2 weeks. Just finished today and was going to post something about it later on. In short:

With not so much snow on the Italian side of the boarder we sadly didn't get to visit the places at the top of my hit list: Monterosa, La Thuille, Cervinia, Madesimo. So we made trips into France into Suisse. I had no idea that quality resorts could be so close. My life really has turned around! Home to Andermatt: 2 hours!! Home to Flims-Laax: 2.5 hours!!! I left the house at 6am this morning and was in Suisse within 45 minutes! I had no idea Laax was so close. I am incredibly happy and excited.

1 week in Chamonix living in a basic studio apartment with kitchen above the rather noisy Rusticana Bar in Argentiere: After several days taking my GF on super short and basic off piste hikes we got a warm overnight dump of 2-3 feet. The next morning was our last and once I saw what was available for my abuse I apologised to GF and went off alone and had some fantastic tree runs lower down at Grand Montets, hit some great steep pillow/mushrooms sequences and dropped a 4 meter boulder after meeting a cool couple from Denmark on the chair lift. She was on skis and he was boarding (very well), using Koflach PMB outer shells with snowboard boot inners on a free ride board with strap bindings. I thought for a second if they were yourself and your girlfriend. Anyway, it was a great. My riding really improved that day. In general, something good seems to have happened to my riding this season. It is all coming together. Earlier in the week we spent 3 days on snow shoes hiking the same very basic and short line up to 45 degrees at the top of Le Tour as well as coaching her in beacon, probes, terrain etc. Teaching the small amount that I know really helped me as well. We had fun and it was very productive.

2 consecutive day trips to Andermatt: Sadly we never saw more than 50m in front of us so cant really comment as our mountain exploration was very limited by the vis. But from all the fresh snow the piste was super soft so I taught myself to ride fakie. I did 5 short runs in a row riding fakie top to bottom and was almost better than my GF. I want to get back there asap and really check it out. It had the most snow of the entire two weeks.

1 day trip to Madonna di Campiglio, motivated by morbid curiosity. Unfortunately I don't have many kind words for that resort, never seen anything like it. Although the trees look very nicely spaced. The Dolomites are too far to make day trips so not sure when I will be back in the region. I am happy to have experienced it as the area is quite unique and attractive... and the resort quite a show.

2 consecutive day trips to Flims-Laax. I spent 17 days there a few seasons ago as a beginner and it was fun to return. The piste and resort layout is not so great but the lift served off-piste is huge. And even huger if you can be bothered hiking from a lift for 30 minutes (if that). 5 days after the last snow fell and I was finding 1-2 foot of good soft snow higher up. There are no easy to access long lines left untracked, but steep medium quality powder turns were available none the less. As with the entire two weeks, most of my the time was spent attempting to coach my GF out of beginner level... so I didn't hit the better lines that were available. But had a great time cruising off piste in 2 foot deep 20-25 degree corn with her. That resort has so much terrain and so much freedom. Saw a few minor slabs had released recently, mainly on the off piste down to Alps Ruschein.

Cant wait for the local Italian resorts to get more snow. Really eager to hit Monterosa.

I'm buying a campervan.

Desperately need a new board.

Back into it next weekend.

Very very stoked

ps - Simon, I just read your post again and saw you are possibly quite close in Milano. We are on via col moschin (GF is at Bocconi). Was gunna check out Pizzeria Da Willy tonight but too tired.

KRAUT, I am not sure which country you are refering to, but in France when you see that sign it does NOT mean that you have to use snow chains. It is a metaphoric sign which means "equipements speciaux obligatoires", which means "special equipments required" which means EITHER chains OR snow tyres. It may be confusing for foreigners. By the way, the locals do not have a special exemption! ;\)

I had a little slide in my car today, in spite of my equipements speciaux obligatoires. The back end nearly fell off the snowy road, but I just managed to hold it together. It reminded me of driving in Nagano and made me feel very nostalgic.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I had a little slide in my car today, in spite of my equipements speciaux obligatoires. The back end nearly fell off the snowy road, but I just managed to hold it together. It reminded me of driving in Nagano and made me feel very nostalgic.
lol.gif

Careful out there O11, these equipements speciaux obligatoires do not mean you can pull 3 Gs in a turn with a thick layer of ice.

Having a life insurance does not make you immortal either. ;\)

Haahaa!!!

Awesome,spud!!

I looked at you on the mainstreat,got a "hmmm?" kind of tought without knowing why. Only later i had the recollection of you guys being there..

\:\)

But no,i wasn´t there with my girl, but with a friend of mine.You were close to the little bridge/river in the centrum.

Yeah,we stayed there for 3days,2 days of skiing in total sink, but wednesday was quite good... a feet or two of pow,sun and not quite empty...

A lot of rocks though. Skiis look like they have been shot or something.

\:\) Mate, you have got a sharp eye for jacket brand and model, girl type and dog features! It is strange what you notice without even realising it. We zigzagged the village for a few hours just taking a look, eating and waiting for a map shop to re-open after lunch. Actually chatted to some really friendly people around the place as well. Something good is going on for me in Andermatt!

How was your time at Monte Rosa, pretty short on snow? When are you going to Japan?

Sorry for the "sharp" eye...one of those weird occupational things... \:\)

And yes,Monte rosa utterly sucked..

We were supposed to stay there for couple of days, but they had 5cm of snow on december 21-23rd. 5cm.....

From the e-mails that i have gotten from there since, the situation is horrible.No snow.

The situation is as horrible as in 2002,when they had no snow untill february.Then they got 2.5m in one dump.

Soo, definately dont go there untill they get that kind of dump again,or two. The place is unskiable for weeks.

In japan we are going to hakuba. In..umm..5 weeks?!!

Whoo!

I dont think i need to take my rock skis there...