Hello folks,

Planning to spend a few days from Dec 29 to Jan 3 or so in Nagano and had a coupla qs - is it super crowded??? And is there a party on the 31st?? Anyone got anything to say about the merits of Dec 31 in the Japanese mountains I'd love to hear it. And even though I am a pom congrats to Aussie's on making the World Cup. Nice one!

Pip, probably we could say it's the most crowded time of the year, but not super. You perhaps won't be in a 30 minutes' queue just for 1 lift riding nowadays thought it used to need that long if it were 12 years or more ago. Resorts have improved the lifts transportations so you will wait for less minutes but slopes might be crowded. You need to be careful not to crash.

Not sure what "merit" you want to get but perhaps you can see how people spend their time in J mountains and after slopes. Maybe some visit shrines,temples to hear the watch-night bell. Perhaps different from Australian way.

Pip,

I'm travelling alone to Hakuba the same time as you. I've been asking around about New Years parties and it seems as though this "Tracks" bar is a pretty good time. As a bonus, it's right near my hostel.

Where you stayin?