I'm visiting my friend (a non-skier) in Niigata province next year and will obviously want to do some boarding while I am there.

I need advice. Lots of it. I have got information from the tourist office here in the UK, lonely planet and the web but they are all a bit general (you can ski in japan) and short on detail.

For a start which is the best time within the season to come?

I will bring my boots but will need to rent a board. i am 6'2" and so use quite a long board. will i be able to rent one the right size or will I have to buy one and lug it round.

Mre Rubbershoes will be skiing.She has no ski equipment. Will she be able to rent boots and skis? Do the ski shop bods speak enough english for her to explain that the boots are too narrow at the toe and a bigger pair is needed.

Thanks

Best time in the season can be any time from November to May, but safest in terms of most snow is probably Jan-Feb. For least crowded, avoid the couple of 3-day weekends in the season, and the New Year holdidays.

Niigata has plenty of good places to board.

Rental places are all different, but there shouldn't be any problem communicating the basics of fitting boots. Probably quite a few resort people have been abroad anyway. My friends have rented ski stuff with no Japanese and no problems.

As for getting a board big enough, you'll have a hard time. The longest board I've seen in a Japanese shop is about 158, and I doubt you'll find anything bigger for rental. When I got my 169 I had to get it on the Net.

And that's probably about all you need to know till you get here, unless you've got really special needs.

Where abouts in Niigata will it be rubbershoes? There are 2 main boarding regions of the prefecture - the Myoko area and the Yuzawa area (they're about 2 hrs from each other), and lots of other places dotted around the mountains.