yeah I did some pre-dawn riding under the lights at Dynaland in Gifu last year. It was great and when the sun came up I had one of those moments when you know there's nothing you'd rather be doing at the time. They open the lifts at 5 am or something mad like that on the weekends.

i prefer a 'nighta' to day ride, cos its cooler and i dont seem to get as hot and sticky. plus its usually quieter, and I love driving out after work to the slopes with the stereo on. then coming back real late still in my gear and getting a can of coffee or cocoa from 7-11, then maybe an onsen pitstop.

ah...luxury :-)

A couple of the resorts on the west side of Lake Biwa open all night on a Saturday. Biwako valley and Hakodateyama maybe. They're very small though, and you've got to pay for a separate gondola to get up there, so not cheap either. Still, you get to see the dawn over the lake.

Hakuba Goryu had signs up saying "we open at 5:30 on a weekend" last season. Never tried it, but I would suspect that "open" does not mean the gondola in this case. Maybe just the nighta bit.

Problem with nightas is that they're usually aren't many lifts going. Many places close their pipe/park at night as well.

I went to one of the five-thirty opening days at Goryu. Unfortunately they only opened the bottom beginners gelende and my season ticket didn't cover it, but the lifty let me on anyway and i hiked up from the top of the beginners run and did a nice sunrise run through deep powder.

Come off some mountain trips after hours a few times. One stands out, coming off Norikura after a three day trip. Large sack, Ice, steep terrain and a li''le petzel. Pitch black, V glad to get down.

Only ways to enjoy night riding. During a full moon, or with dual 'daylight' burners strapped 'round yer head with a large 12 volt battery pack in yer sack. The type made for mountain biking at night, work great with the snow.

There are two Norikura's - the resort in Hakuba and the other a mountain range in Azumino, Nagano.

If there's moonlight, and few trees, wouldn't you be able to see quite well on snow at night?

The Norikura at the southern end of the North Alps. A three thousand meter peak isolated from the main ranges. makes a great backcountry tour spot, but gets a bit windy at times, oh and rather cold. (New Years eve at the top, -28C, windchill ~-56C)probably one of the safest and easiest big mountains to tour on mid-winter if equipped well.