I know its a bit early for this, but does anyone know where you can buy telemark bindings in Japan - looking for G3's more likely. Or any useful Japan tele related websites (Japanese OK)...

Also has anyone tried ordering stuff on the net to Japan? If I cant get stuff here, I was thinking of ordering through REI or something, but are there any issues regarding paying customs duties etc?

The biggest issue with getting stuff sent here is the price of shipment. If you can find a supplier who can get a shipping discount (and I expect REI can), then it's well worth it. I bought a heavily discounted snowboard where the shipping actually cost more than the board, but it was still worth it.

As for customs, you're supposed to find your local customs office (even small towns have them), take your new kit along to be inspected, and pay 5% percent consumption tax (customs duties don't apply, I checked.) Well of course, you COULD do that if you wanted to...

If you know what you're looking for, then go for it.

In Japan, IBS sports in Osaka has a range of tele bindings. Li'le shop in echoland (hakuba) also has a good range, but it's a bitch to find. IBS sports (ishibashi sports) may well have a web site in Japanese.

I buy alot of backcountry gear from backcountrystore.com. Got my last tele boots from there, great advice, fast service. They've got G3's on sale at the moment. Thinking of getting a pair of those strapped to the stinx meself.

Ishii Sports is great for "proper" outdoor gear. There would appear to be two chains of Ishii shops, some that go by the handle "ICI" and others by "IBS". I don't know why.