Hello!

The gulf of Alaska is starting to awaken, and here in California the surf in the Pacific Ocean is jumping up again, and soon we will have out first snow in Lake Tahoe.

My girlfriend and I will be Flying in Tokyo on December 24th and staying in Japan for 10 days. We have no plan yet.

We are very strong snowboarders from the United States who do allot of backcountry (offpiste) boarding & mountaineering in Colorado, Utah, California, Alaska, Europe. We like to go the *steeps* and are dying to find the beautiful Japanese tree skiing we've seen in magazines and movies.

Almost equally importantly, we are looking to find a true Japanese experience, rich in culture and heritage, not the big flashy resorts. We like to travel off the beaten path.

Where to go? We are willing to fly locally, maybe upto the Hokaiddo area? Reading this site (a great website!), sounds like the coldest temperatures and best chance of snow in Japan late December with less people? Or? What?

Suggestions are really welcome! And if anyone hooks us up with a place to stay, we would be happy to bring U.S. goods or boarding gear or whatever we can in exchange.....looking to have a really unique experience in Japan (and realistic that it won't be Alaska!)

Thank You!!!

Wes & Rebecca

San Francisco, California

Quote:
sounds like the coldest temperatures and best chance of snow in Japan late December with less people

A bit too much beer tonight and tired, BUT... best snow and coldest temperatures in December? Hmmm, I would have said mid-Jan to early Feb. Anyone?

time to sleep