"Going fakie" or "riding fakie" is a term for riding with the opposite foot forward. A snowboarder will ride his or her board with either the left foot forward (regular) or the right foot forward (called "goofy"). The preference must be decided before setting up the bindings on the boad as almost all board are designed to go a particular direction. This is not to say they cannot be ridden both directions, like the old split tails, just that the most speed and response is achieved in a particular direction.

When a goofy rider goes down the hill with his left foot forward or a regular rider has his right foot forward, it is said they are riding fakie. If you want to be really technical about it, it is really only called fakie if the rider is about to perform a trick. Otherwise they are "riding switch." Although that is really a weird terminology thing that is up to some debate.

lin, you're learning from yesterday's people here.

The meaning of slang changes over time, and this is definitely one case where technology has had an impact. 'Riding switch' actually refers to the unhappy state of affairs where snowboarders come out the top end of 'gang teleporters' at mixed resorts with skis attached to their feet. They're said to be 'riding switch', at least until they fall over.

Skiers who have been mis-teleported so as to come out attached to boards are said to be 'riding fakie', at least until they've realized their good fortune and repented of their ealier error.

I may have this wrong, but I think the difference between "switch" and "fakie" only matters in skateboarding. Unlike a snowboard, a skateboard has no bindings so you can change your stance anytime. I read somewhere that fakie is riding with your weaker foot forward without changing your stance (so that your back foot ends up pointing the wrong way). Switch is riding with your weaker foot forward having changed your stance, so that in most people's cases the weaker foot points forward and the back foot across the board. I'm just getting into skateboarding and am certainly no expert, but that's what is says here

About.com Skateboarding

Since a snowboard has bindings, there is no difference between switch and fakie.

"fakie" comes from skateboarding where you simply take your normal back foot and put it on the nose of the board and ride it backwards, thus doing all the same tricks but now off the nose. Switch is adjusting your (or switching your) back foot around so now your riding your oppsite stance but still using the tail. As far as snowboarding is concerned for the most part your riding switch and not fackie when you land your 180, 540, or 900, unless you popping off the nose...enjoy