Hello all,

First I just want to say that I am really enjoying the forum. I have been on a number of boards/list and this group far outshines the mostly dimwitted conversation that is prevalent across the internet.

As for me, I currently am living in the USA but I am dying to get out and live abroad. I was in Japan for a few weeks this spring and absolutely loved it. I’ve been studying the language pretty intensely since then. Therefore I would like to try living in Japan for a while. Some preliminary research on this site and others, and some conversations with people that have gone through it (thanks MikeD); make it pretty clear that the easiest way to get started is to get a job teaching English. I admit, the idea of teaching English is far from thrilling, but I am open to adventure.

Problem: I must be able to snowboard! Three times a week would be optimal but I can live with twice. 1.5 hours or less travel time is necessary as well.

- Where should I try to find work?

- Any language companies/organizations better than others?

- Large corporation or small private school?

- Alternatives to teaching?

So what was the situation like for you all when you where in my position? How did you get started?

Anyone got horror stories of teaching jobs? Great experiences? Tips for getting the job and/or job placement/location of choice? Making money is not my priority…just livin and lovin life.

Thanks for the advice and thanks to the SJG crew for such an awesome site.

---Ryland