I've heard a couple of people say that the prices of apartments close to resorts are as cheap as chips these days.

Can anyone point me in the direction of more info on this subject?

Cheers,

- squiffy

A Japanese friend of mine from Kansai bought a place near (30min by car) from Shiga Kogen for 6 million yen a couple of years ago. It is what's know as a "resort mansion", a small one LDK in a large block where townies can stay and keep their skis, golf clubs etc. The place he bought has a concierge and you can use the onsen in the hotel next door. The car park also gets cleared of snow, so I think he still has to pay a not-insubstantial maintenance fee every month. The buying price was something like one sixth of the original asking price back during the economic bubble of the late 80s.

You can rent resort mansions by the month as well, but they don't come cheap and you'd better get in fast. However, if you rent an ordinary place for 3-4 months, you'll probably still have to pay key money and the place won't be furnished. If you're only going there weekends and your place is somewhere with heavy snowfall, don't be surprised if you have to shovel snow for several hours just to park your car. If the house/apartment is old, it will also be very cold inside.

If you've got substantial savings (20 million plus), the price of land fell 11% in Hakuba and 10% in Karuizawa last year, so you should be able to get a bargain if you want to build your own log house or buy someone else's. The main estate agent in Hakuba is Sakura Fudosan, so try giving them a call.

Thanks, NoFakie.

That is the sort of place I am after - a small, purpose-built resort mansion. I stayed at one one last year in Yuzawa and it was terrific. Not the biggest of places but certainly enough for two nights and with the luxury of a drying room/lockers on the ground floor and onsen on the top. There wasn't an ounce of snow in the carpark so that must be taken care of as well.

There was list hung up in the lobby of owners who had failed to pay their maintenance fees. Name and shame. If I remember correctly that was about 30,000 a month. Certainly not insubstantial but less than the cost of most parking spaces in Tokyo.

What I really want, if anybody can help, is a website link to a fudosan selling such apartments. Japanese is okay.

Cheers!

- squiffy

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a show on TV yesterday where they were showing off some of these places. They were all small but most were nearly new. The showed one 1DK that was 700,000 yen

to BUY! AMAZING! Most ran in the 300 to 500 man range for a 1 ldk type place. I think they were mostly in Yuzawa. Seems if you could 2-3 folks in on it, it would be a great deal!

DOUG

Quote:
Originally posted by squiffy:

Thanks, NoFakie.

That is the sort of place I am after - a small, purpose-built resort mansion. I stayed at one one last year in Yuzawa and it was terrific. Not the biggest of places but certainly enough for two nights and with the luxury of a drying room/lockers on the ground floor and onsen on the top. There wasn't an ounce of snow in the carpark so that must be taken care of as well.

There was list hung up in the lobby of owners who had failed to pay their maintenance fees. Name and shame. If I remember correctly that was about 30,000 a month. Certainly not insubstantial but less than the cost of most parking spaces in Tokyo.

What I really want, if anybody can help, is a website link to a fudosan selling such apartments. Japanese is okay.

Cheers!

- squiffy