Just watching Fox News, and seems NY is up at 92F already, and with Japan being "nearly hot" right now - are we in for an agonisingly hot summer this year.

frown.gif

Friends of mine maintain that the temperature over the whole year is always roughly equal. So with that way of thinking, we've had a warm winter and spring, so if the summer is also really hot, next winter will be freeeeeeezing, the lakes will ice over and so much snow will fall that schools and companies will just have to declare holidays indefinitely. So this summer, let it burn, baby! Oh yes!

(I'm not sure that I believe this average temperature thing anyway...)

It's going to be a long and gruelling afair that won't let up until late September. It was a warm and humid rainy lunchtime in Osaka yesterday. I thought I'd at least get through to May before I started sweating. A Canadian mate of mine reckons summer lasts for 8 months here. By my standards I'd say 5 or 6. I'll be getting to the beach or a river or even a human soup pool as often as I can. But it's much better than the two eight month winters I spent in London-plenty of cold with hardly any snow. Gambare people.

Davo, that reminds me of a trip up to Nozawa with a carful of Commonwealth mates. As we looked out at the beautiful snowy scenery, someone invited us to compare it with an English winter. For about 30 minutes there was a stream of invective and harsh gritty stories about the unrelieved misery of being in England from September to May - weeks on end of dank, grey, frozen-to-the-bones days. The couple of months of English summer can be very pleasant, with pub evenings and light till 10 pm. But that doesn't nearly cover what you have to go through to get there.

I don't envy you in Osaka - not after the five years I spent in Tenma.

You're right about the English summer Ocean11-nice when it happens and in many ways preferable to August here. Still too chilly for swimming but, which is why the English breakfast has been added to the diversity of Spanish regional cuisine. Baked beans ole! ole!