moggy,

'fat' is the only swear word that doesnt get auto-censored on this humouless (but valuable) forum.

Speaking to your question.... yes, I have decided to slide sideways. It was a ****** tough decision (seriously).

It really depends more on your height and boot size. What are those (in the Queen's standard units if you please...stupid freakin American school system!)?

Neither 65KG or 75KG seem very fat by my calculations...unless you meant 65/75KG over weight.

For learning to snowboard a wider board may help you more than a longer board.

is there a "standard" chart u know like the charts of how much u should weigh when your so tall etc... u know those?

i assume theres a chart of somesort..?

i guess its very dependant huh??

in powder you need a longer board?

in australia a shorter board cause the isnt as good bla bla bla bla bla....

theres to many variables....

i know i could ride anywere from a 148 to a 158 ,.... so tere should be a chart with a 10cm give or take...!!

ya boards ment to be up to ya chin hey?

I have never seen a chart but wouldn't be suprised if there was one.

A certain part of it is personal preference too.

I am 6 foot 165lbs (182cm, 75kg) and wear size 10 (US) boots. The last two years I have ridden a 157cm board that was 24.7cm wide. This year I am going a little bigger with a 161cm / 24.9 cm board. I have also ridden a 158 and a 159 in the past. I prefer thin boards.

Interesting stuff.

Ltes say you have two boards: both free ride/all purpose boards. Same construction, same lenght. One is wide, the other narrow.

How will this change performance?

cheers

I guess I should have said I prefer a narrow board, not a thin board.

I think a more narrow board provides sharper control. It tends to give a board more pop. It will also make for better carving and make the board lighter.

Negatively, it makes the board less likely to float through powder and can make deep snow a challenge for the less experienced.

A lot of these factors are also heavily influenced by the construction of the board (which I am far from an expert on). I definitely prefer a stiff board, but not other worldly stiff. Option makes very stiff boards. After riding my Option for a year I took a run on my old Ride Control (my first board - but probably had less actual on-snow time than the Option). It was seriously like riding a wet noodle.

What are your H/W/Boot size stats Deebee?

I once rode a Hart snowboard that was so soft, it felt like the front and back was slithering across the terrain like a worm. I felt every bump and dip of the snow. It was horrible.

Stiff is good. Also long is good. Most people who ride long boards, even insanely long boards will tell you that they turn alright.

Quote:
Originally posted by deebee:

Lets say you have two boards: both free ride/all purpose boards. Same construction, same lenght. One is wide, the other narrow.

How will this change performance?
Maybe you could look online for opinions about the Burton Rush, which is supposed to be the same as another popular model called the Balance, only wider, ostensibly for big-footed riders for whom the waist (24.7cm I think) is too narrow.

Unless you're thinking about pow from the moment go, I wouldn't buy an overly long board if you've never snowboarded. You can get some advice here

http://snowboarding.about.com/library/weekly/aa022801a.htm

A stiff board is definitely a better ride. Want a bit of flex for surfing the powder though. My burton cascade (168) handles the powder amazingly, but also does well on transition, and on the harder stuff. A bit stiffer than the custom, which makes you work a bit too hard on ice.

Stiffer boards without flex in the right places, however, can be a little unforgiving when learning.

The last guy I taught to board was about 160cm tall, 72 Kg. He found a 150cm board about right.

Enderzero, thanks for you thoughts. My ststs are:

65kg (143 pounds - if I converted correctly

170cm (5'7" - ditto).

As for boot size - dont know yet. Shoe size is pretty average, perhaps on the small side.

Can someone perhaps breath some life and limb into the term "forgiveness", with respect to a boards performance.

Thankyou all for the helpful info.

A board with little forgiveness could be used to describe a board over which you have maximum control, often quite stiff, i believe, with great edges, and so does exactly what you tell it... Beginners don't always tell it the right thing. (crap, badly made boards can also be unforgiving, but that's a different matter).

Most noticable when going straight, or halfway through a turn on a low gradient, sutle edge turns...etc. An unforgiving board will throw you off if the wrong edge so much as sees the snow, (your balance isn't perfect).

Boards can be made more forgiving by tuning the edge up a degree or two, sacraficing edge hold for forgiveness.

Deebee - I would recommend something in the 156-158 range around 25cm wide. This may be a little big for your stats but that would be good for a beginner.

Are you planning to buy before you even ride at all? I would really recommend trying out a few different boards to see what feels good. Shops over here let you demo boards for the day if you are a serious customer. It may be more difficult in Japan. What would be best is if you could hit up one of the demo days and ride different boards all day. Come to think of it though, you should probably get at least 10 days of riding in before you do something like that so you can really appreciate the difference.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks ender (where does enderzero come from?).

I am going to try before I buy - most likely on mountain rentals. (There is part of me that just wants to walk out of the house this weekend and return with board boots and bindings).

I dont want to give the impression that I think I am a hotshot, but I kind of want to get a board that is a touch out of a rank beginners league. This gives me room to grow into it and also will allow quick progression should I be fortunate enough to pick it up with some natural ability.

I am very comfortable with many things fast and sliding (surfing, skiing, skating, roller blading, even riding sports bikes) so I dont think I will be a complete unco. But I do expect to go through plenty of sore bruised and bashed weekends whilst getting the hang of it.