I am thinking of doing a “Yuzawa area only” 5 day trip around the first week of March so I need some suggestions. Apart from the main resorts that I have been numerous times, i.e. “Gala, Iwapara, Kandatsu, Kagura” is there any other place worth giving it a shot this time? Any secret places hidden in the area?

• SnowJapan Admin

I'd fit in Naeba (on a weekday) as well. Maybe Ishiuchi Maruyama, Maiko Kogen nearby. This may not interest you but people have been known to like Yuzawa Nakazato as well (but it's small). Check out the Reviews for them. \:\)

Cheers Adm. I ve been on Naeba on a Suturday last year so I am not going to do the same stupid thing again, interesting place though. I was also thinking about Ishiuchi because I did noticed once when I was coming back from Nozawa that they have a massive night course. The place was lit up like a Christmas tree! Isn’t also the same place that is connected with Gala and you can buy lifts for both? Is Maiko kougen the right name, Maiko kourakuen maybe?

Come on SJers, give me some more feedback! Anyone interested in joining from Tokyo is welcomed to PM me.

Ishiuchi has the best nighta around - esp on the weekends when a large area is open (maybe less on weekdays). And yes Ishiuchi is linked with Gala Yuzawa at the top (and Gala is linked to Yuzawa Kogen) - you can get a lift ticket that lets you ride all those lifts. If you like yakiniku, make sure you check out Ishiuchi Drive In on the corner on Route 17 at the bottom of Ishiuchi resort... the yakiniku is really good.

Maiko is kourakuen, yes, make sure you go on the left hand (gondola) side not the right hand side.

I thought I'd make another handle rather than use the admin one all the time \:\)

>>I thought I'd make another handle rather than use the admin one all the time

Now there is a landmark break with SJ forum tradition!! The oil shortage moves in mysterious ways ;\)

Welcome to the forum.

In my In my ignorance I always dismissed Naeba. Having been there on a good snow day I found it actually very good when not crowded.

I once In my ignorance I always dismissed Naeba. Having been there on a good snow day I found it actually very good when not crowded.

I once went to a very small, very steep (steepest in bound I have seen in Japan) place in Yuzawa. I had a great time (beginner + steep = learnt a lot). I wouldn't go back, unless you wanted steep on a powder day in bounds. The place was empty when I was there. Can't remember what it was called, went alone, was a really short taxi ride from yuzawa eki.