On Monday I unfortunately hit an unexposed rock and managed to put a small but deep gouge in my base.  The hole is about 2mm in diameter but it has pieced into the wood core.  Do any of you guys with repair experience know if its possible to fix this myself and how to go about it?

Yep.....did it myself a few weeks ago. Go but a p-tex stick from your local snow shop, melt the end until it becomes molten and drip fill into the gouge. You should overfill the hole so it bulges out when it dries, allow to dry then using a wallpaper scraper, scrape the excess plastic off until it's flush with the rest of the board...voila.....done

1 thing tho, u are likely to leave a dark smudge on ur base due to soot production when u melt the p-tex. I haven't found a way to stop that I'm afraid.....I tried melting with a wax iron but it isn't hot enough to turn it molten to drip into the hole....just creates a sticky mess on ur iron

Sintered or Extruded base?

Never tried to fix a sintered and It would be difficult.

Core shots are meant to be bad but depends on the riding it does as to whether it will affect prerformance

If it is Extruded just fill it with PTex pretty simple as long as you can match the colour

1 thing tho, u are likely to leave a dark smudge on ur base due to soot production when u melt the p-tex. I haven't found a way to stop that I'm afraid.....I tried melting with a wax iron but it isn't hot enough to turn it molten to drip into the hole....just creates a sticky mess on ur iron

After the p-tex becomes molten, let it drip a few times onto something other than your board. After a few drips, start filling the gouge in your base. The sooty gunk should have dripped off in those first few drips away from your base. :thumbsup: :friend:

After the p-tex becomes molten, let it drip a few times onto something other than your board. After a few drips, start filling the gouge in your base. The sooty gunk should have dripped off in those first few drips away from your base. :thumbsup: :friend:

That - the best way to accomplish it is by putting some aluminium foil or a metal scraper right next to the gouge. Light the Ptex candle above the foil and wait until it drips smoothly and the flame burns cleanly by holding the candle close to the foil/scraper and rotating it (look for a blue flame - yellow flame indicates that it is not burning cleanly which typically will give you black residue). Then move the candle over gouge and drip in the required amount of Ptex. Remove any excess Ptex with a metal scraper.

Definitely clean and dry the damaged area, in order to get a better bond with the Ptex. If the gouge covers a large area, a bit of sanding before applying the Ptex also helps it adhere to the board.

Thanks for the advice everyone. If there is rock stuck in the gouge do I need to remove it before applying the ptex? I've also heard that since it's a core shot I should cut out a section around the gouge remove it and then ptex? I don't really want to cut into my base so I will probably ignore this idea unless there is good reason. Has anyone used this method for repair?

I had a similar gouge last year. I repaired it with the p-tex candle as others described, however due to the width and depth of the hole the repair fell out after a few days on the mountain. Got it to stay in on the third repair after giving it a thorough clean with a wire brush to remove the debris and a good sand. I also used a razor to smooth the edges of the gouge and warmed the board up in front of a heater before i did it so the p-tex didn't cool too quickly and crack.

Take the rock out but since it's a small gouge, I wouldn't go cutting into it.

I'm spewing after a great day at Rusutsu, I've cracked the tail of my board and de-lammed it.....gonna have to get some c-clamps and epoxy ????

Think it was when I got stuck a little and spun on the tail to right myself. No damage to the base, just the top sheet so epoxy should be ok but still spewing......my board has taken a beating this year already