Hi all,

First post - looking for some last minute advice!

Have a chance to spend a couple of days boarding while in Japan early Feb.

Figured there's plenty of choice in the "reasonably close to Tokyo" Nagano area?

Looking for somewhere with a traditional Japanese feel.

I am an intermediate boarder looking to try some of Japan's famous powder.

Any advice / opinions welcomed.

Of course Noz will be cool for you, but if time is tight then best area that's close to Tokyo is Yuzawa area in Niigata. Great snow, around 10 resorts within a 30 minute shuttle bus ride from the centre of town and a year round onsen town only 70 minutes from Tokyo station by Shinkansen

Yuzawa vs Nozawa. Yuzawa definitely wins for convenience and price (look into the Kanto + Yuzawa 9,000 yen three day pass you can buy at the airport). Both have good powder (if you hit it right). Nozawa might win for "Traditional Japanese" It is a really interesting village with a nice temple and nice hot spring baths. Yuzawa is also a hot spring but has more of a ski resort feel. There probably are temples and shrines because they really are everywhere in Japan, but I've never been to one in Yuzawa. Nozawa would be a more expensive and long trip from Tokyo. I hope that is helpful.

No, you can get Shinkansen + lift ticket deals for all the Yuzawa resorts. You can also get a hotel added on to that deal

Good to know. I should say I've never stayed in Yuzawa due to the proximity to my house. I mostly meant that 9000 yen does not get you all of those things. Though that would be one hell of a deal :friend: Yuzawa is definitely cheaper than Nozawa from Tokyo.

Thanks guys, Yuzawa didn't show up on my original search so I hadn't heard of it. Definitely closer.. And I found plenty of info about the Yuzawa package deals. Will be a last minute booking, just waiting for work to approve my travel, looks like I need to cross my fingers for some snow too. Might still go Nozawa if I can find accomodation for a night and the train timetables line up.

Any thing else I should know for first time quick blast in Japan, please let me know.

Will be spending a couple of days in Kyoto, then heading back to Cerulean tower in Shibuya and will head to the snow from there either daily or to somewhere for a night or 2.

Great forum!

Ok rough plan falling together...

Arrive Tokyo Sunday AM, look around TOK Sun - Mon, spend Tuesday travelling up to Nozawa - few stops on the way maybe.

Tuesday night check in and get ready for.....

Wednesday - Thursday hit the snow.

Thursday afternoon back to TOK.

Friday AM check out and train to Kyoto. Fri, Sat look around, head home Sunday night.

Just adding up some ticket prices and comparing to a 5 day JR Pass,