Hey guys,

So planning my second stint to Hokkaido and am thinking of buying a BC avalanche bag. I keep hearing about bad things happening - even in Japan. I know the terrain isn't all that steep but avalanches do seem to happen. And since I plan to come back to Japan for years, I think it's a no brainer (I wear a backpack anyway!).

I think I've narrowed my search down to a couple models - looking at the ABS Vario 15 or 30. However, I wanted to make sure I can get cartridges in Japan? I read it is difficult to travel with them on planes, etc.

Any insight on this would be helpful. I am assuming many of you guys are wearing avalance/BC packs?

Also planning on taking a avalanche course, and buying decent equipment.

EDIT: It seems that ABS is a terrible choice for Japan as there is no support for the nitrogen cartridges. Seems like BCA is the only Avalanche backpack company with a decent network in Japan. But with that said, I'm seeing conflicting reports on the availability of refilling a BCA o2 cartridge in Hokkaido. Is there a place I can buy a Japanese compliant BCA air cartridge?

Yeah, start at home with the us avalanche centre. I should not need to tell you that.

? What are you talking about? I'm asking how to fill/buy cartridges...I shouldn't have to tell you that either.

I don't know if many people on here use them mate. There have been a few who have said that getting them filled up over here is über difficult.

Where are you intending to shred when (hopefully) using this gear?

I don't know if many people on here use them mate. There have been a few who have said that getting them filled up over here is über difficult.

Where are you intending to shred when (hopefully) using this gear?

Yeah, that's what I've been finding as well in my research - which blows my mind! Given all the snow in japan, I assumed this would be a prime spot for ave bags!

Planning to be in Asahikawa...which is the second largest city in Hokkaido, but I wonder if they will have refill services which seem to be hard to find even in bigger cities in Japan!

Dont need an airbag for asahidake. Its pretty flat.

Was planning on also hitting Kamui Links and Kurodake - which I had read has some steeper stuff (though not a huge vert). Is Asahidake that flat?

The mountains in Nagano are much steeper, gnarlier BC than Hokkaido.....MAYBE you'd find something down there.....any of the Hakuba locals got any info??

Thanks Tubbybeaverinho - yeah, it was a debate between Nagano and this (we went to Niseko last year). We're big into backcountry powder runs and were under the impression, from researching, that the powder in Hokkaido was > the powder in Nagano. Plus, Nagano seems more resort like?

Honestly, take this advice or leave it but I have ridden the places you speak of and also done my ast1 avy course.

Air bag is not needed and you will have great trouble getting one so forget it. Spend a few dollars on a book called "staying alive in avalanche terrain" by bruce tremper and study chapter 3. Stay off steep slopes after new snow and learn to know where wind slab will be.

If you do this you wont need an airbag cause you wont be getting buried in the first place.

Make sure you have crampons to get to the peaks. It can get quite icy up there.

It's only more resort like if you stick to the resorts :) There are plenty BC tour companies down in Nagano that run tours. The mountains are much bigger down there so if real BC is your thing then I would say there are just as many opportunities down there than up in Hokkaido. The snow question.....hmm....IMO the snow Q is a bit of a fallacy, the powder is/can be just as awesome in Nagano as Hokkaido....the thing I would say is that powder days are maybe more consistent up here than on Honshu....which maybe gets affected more by rain events thru the season than Hokkaido, but when powder has fallen it's just as good