Hi everyone

Just wandering what everyone wears and if anyone has worn the Burton SLX it's pretty expensive

I have a pair of Burton Hail which are ok pretty comfy apart from rubbing where they try to hold the heel down so I blister on either side of my achilles

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got some Burton Ions coming from the states can't wait to try them

I have a pair of Burton Ions, I find that they fit me well, quite stiff, which makes them great for carving, but not so stiff as to be no good for anything else. Pretty high up the price scale, but I think worth it.

Make sure your new boots have a heel retention system AKA the inner laces are fixed to the heel cup of the boot. It works wonders for pulling your foot down. I also find that packing up the insole until my foot was neatly fitting the top of the boot is the best way to eliminate heel lift.

Im in thirtytwo focus double BOA's cause I have a wide foot and thirtytwo is a nice wide fit. Its a great boot, I just bought a second pair a full size smaller than my current ones. I reckon I can squeeze into them initially and they will pack out to be the perfect fit. I thought my boots fit well till I started splitboarding, after a few thousand repetitions a tiny amount of heel lift = bloody big blisters!

I would never go back to a boot without double BOA and heel retention system

I just bought the DC's they are a bit stiff and not as comfy as the Hail's but I think they will give a bit more feel to the board.

Whats best for all mountain soft or hard boots?

Or is it just personal choice?

Stiffer boots / bindings will generally be a bit more responsive, particularly for carving, softer boots / bindings allow more flexibility so better for jibbing / jumping. My personal feeling is that moderately stiff boots are the best all mountain option for me - stiff enough to carve well, soft enough to muck about in the park if I want. The Ions I currently wear rate 8 / 10 on the stiffness scale and I haven't once thought "I wish these boots were less stiff."

Having ridden with you seemore I would say stiffer boots will be better for you. Only park rats want soft boots and bindings.

Personally I go for a very stiff board, very stiff bindings and stiff boots. It helps me ride hard and fast knowing I have an intimate connection with my edges when I really need it.

All you need now is something stiffer than that hovercraft you are riding lol

Having ridden with you seemore I would say stiffer boots will be better for you. Only park rats want soft boots and bindings.

Personally I go for a very stiff board, very stiff bindings and stiff boots. It helps me ride hard and fast knowing I have an intimate connection with my edges when I really need it.

All you need now is something stiffer than that hovercraft you are riding lol

Yes I have been doing some research I think I will ride the hovercraft for another season and I will get another board to try (unless you are making me one)

and I will try these DC Judges as they are alot stiffer.

I have a pair of Burton Ions, I find that they fit me well, quite stiff, which makes them great for carving, but not so stiff as to be no good for anything else. Pretty high up the price scale, but I think worth it.

Burton Ions here too. I like them and would recommend.

Any thoughts on binding that would be suitable for the Ions?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Invested in a pair of ions, bought online via Scotland. The finance minister complain about the cost but was reminded about her upgrades last season. Still got to update a lot more stuff tho and replacing old gear one piece at a time so as not to be noticed (yeah - good one) and not hurt the bank balance as much. The plan is to buy good quality gear so it lasts but I always cringe/question at the cost of (new and supposed good quality) snow gear and wonder about how much is hype.

Also picking up a 2nd hand NS summit ~165 (very reasonable - ebay) soon, suppose to be a more powder board from board reviews. Just missed out on a Burton Malaloo but still hunting.

Hi everyone

Just wandering what everyone wears and if anyone has worn the Burton SLX it's pretty expensive

I have a pair of Burton Hail which are ok pretty comfy apart from rubbing where they try to hold the heel down so I blister on either side of my achilles

Yep.

The youngest cub acquired a pair of those late last year for the Children's Winter Games in Russia in Feb.

Reckons they are awesome.

Should be for the price ;)

Great to hear I think they may be worth it though we spend heaps on everything else why not a good set of boots.

I have my eye out for some at the moment

I reckon you should spend the most money on boots.

Ski or board - get the best you can for your feet.

Then add the rest as you can.

Without comfortable feet the rest becomes a chore.

I reckon you should spend the most money on boots.

Ski or board - get the best you can for your feet.

Then add the rest as you can.

Without comfortable feet the rest becomes a chore.

Only problem with me is left ankle is good but right ankle not so good due to skate boarding smash. Just need to get thru the numb/ no feeling stage with it.

Been wearing the ions around house for short periods and feel comfy so far, just need to give them a real trial now.

Some other things on the immediate list are really warm gloves, a new helmet (more comfortable than the one I've got now and good ventilation) and googles.

Any ideas/ thoughts appreciated.

I haven't found any gloves that do the job yet once they get wet they seem to get cold.

I have a red helmet which is good and just bought a quiksilver one for a mate and that feels snug.

Goggles ones that fit your face/helmet with out squashing your nose most decent brands seem to do the job.