which is why ive restricted myself to a few tiny meagre minuscule morsel like tid-bits of info on the 2nd post. Summary summary. Plus i kinda wanted you guys to do the leg work because i just end up writing reams of text. :)

• Like 1

For snowboarding beginners, the near-flat beginner runs at places like the bottom of Tsugaike are unsuitable due to insufficient gradient. You need more angle to be stable and to learn basic edge control with the falling leaf thing. In sticky snow conditions or late season slush, I don't think such runs are so good for skiing beginners either.

The Hakuba resorts were mentioned but I would say Hakuba Norikura is a fine place for beginners to ski. It has a fine range of courses with increasing gradients and is rarely busy.

which is why ive restricted myself to a few tiny meagre minuscule morsel like tid-bits of info on the 2nd post. Summary summary. Plus i kinda wanted you guys to do the leg work because i just end up writing reams of text. :)

wonder if its possible to do a table of resorts with ticks and crosses for each 'feature'

Do not go to Asahidake if you are a beginner.

There are only two cat tracks down the mountain, the rest you will struggle with.

and there are lots of flat sections where you will get stuck.

Kamui would be quite good. there are a couple of gentle slopes and a chair to access them.

There are restaurants etc. and you can get there on a day trip from Furano or Asahikawa.

wonder if its possible to do a table of resorts with ticks and crosses for each 'feature'

to be honest, that sounds like EXACTLY the kind of thing id do. But icbf :) Easy enough, make an excel chart. Make it nice and colorful. Save it as an image, then mspaint it up a bit to pop those colors, and then put it here.

The small problem is the sheer wealth of research youre going to need as well as some decent japanese to fill in the blanks when you havent yourself been to a resort but the info you have is kinda scanty on certain points. Good luck though :p

And koko give us some knowledge on furano. I would furnish out the details, but youre clearly the furano expert.

1. Furano (Central Hokkaido)

Pros:

Prices for lift tickets are quite reasonable.

Easy transport from Chitose (Sapporo) or Ashaikawa airport.

Lots of reasonably priced accommodation.

Beginners slopes and chairs on both sides of the mountain cater quite well to learners.

Excellent ski school both for skiers and boarders.

Can eat at bottom of chair lifts for lunch.

Rental at bottom of each side.

Ski Hosts will show you around the mountain for free. Just book a day before at Tourist office.

Cons:

Getting from one side to the other is not for beginners.

Do not go up the gondola on Kitanomine side if you are a beginner. It is a bit steep. definitely not recommended.

Best for: (level range):

Intermediate but some off-piste stuff for experts if you know where to go.

Why you should(n't) come here as a beginner:

No reasons. It is a good place for beginners.