When you buy a CD NOW, are you still entitled to lend it, sell it and repurchase it? If so, what's the actual difference to someone who has bought it and puts it on one of these P2P torrent sites for other people to share?

You can certainly lend it - but you cannot listen to it at the same time as the person you loaned it to unless in the same room. So, your difference is quite simply that a single, physical item (the CD) can only be in one physical place at any given time - a torrent site allows more than one person to be listening to the same CD without having purchased a copy. and they could be in different continents, let alone different cities!

As for the maker of the product, do you try to buy a car, then return it, having manufactured an identical, operating copy, for a full refund? Good luck with that!

Having written a couple of books, I feel for people whose work and effort is being ripped off by thieves. OK, I rip a DVD to iPod, so I can have some English entertainment to take to Japow with me (Cannot get a grip of what passes for "humour" and entertainment in Japanese TV, no matter how hard I try), but the original remains at home, and the copy is destroyed when I am finishged watching it. If I want/need to se it again at home, I break out the original!

:wakaranai:

who is on about returning copied goods?

A question to ex-pats who don't like to download music for free, do you stream or watch TV shows from your home country? Would you still consider that as theft of intellectual property?

Ummm ... have a look at the original post, which I quoted and have made bold so you cannot miss it! You seem to be asking for permission to copy a purchased item and make it available for others to make copies of.

If I'm wrong, explain how the bit in bold can be interpreted otherwise.

I'm not an expat, so I have no opinion on your streaming stuff, other than to say - IF you watch and do not copy and store - no problem.

I see that the anti-piracy law has come into effect in Japan, banning all those nasty lads from downloading free music and videos. I wonder how they are going to actually Police that

For 1, THIS is the original post....

2. The bit you highlighted has no reference to returning copied goods

3. Regarding the streaming Q, as long as I don't store the file, then it's ok? I could stream and you are ok with that?

A question to ex-pats who don't like to download music for free, do you stream or watch TV shows from your home country? Would you still consider that as theft of intellectual property?

Good lord, no. That crap is even worse than what I can watch completely legally here in Japan (lame as it is). Why on earth would anyone want to do that? Too many brain cells to burn?

There's really not much point in trying to 'discuss' this.

People who feel inclined to nick stuff for free when they're supposed to pay for it will be able to justify it in their minds whatever is said.

I suppose the ever more comical excuses and justifications for doing it are entertaining, but that's about it.