One month in Hokkaido, help needed to make choices

Hello everybody,

i'm new to this forum, and i'm planning a trip to hokkaido from 20th of january to 20th of february. Dates are flexibles, from what i've read it's the best time for pow, but if you have a differente advice just tell me!

I already read so many info on the web and on this forum, and i sorted the possibilities a bit, but i'm still not sure where to go.

First, i'm a boarder, rode at least 100 days per year for 10 years straight, then had a 2 years hiatus due to a bad injury, but now i'm luckily back.

Second, i'm on a budget. That means no guides, no rented car, just public transportation, no expensive hotels, just hostels possibly. I'm prone to spend some extra money if needed, but it'll be a no frills trip, just bottomless powder. I'm not at all into nightlife and pares skis so i don't really care about isolated resorts.

Third, i'd love to see some real japanese village when possible. I won't go back to Italy after the 20th of february, i'm planning to visit the country for 2-3 weeks, so i don't need any big cultural experience up north, but still a "real" japan experience is a plus even on mountains.

now the question: where to spend my 4 weeks of riding??? the options are: Niseko, Rusutsu, Kiroro, Asahidake

About Asahidake, is it accessible by public transport? Is it worth a week, and is it ok for boarding or too flat as i read somewhere? I also read you can lap the mountain like 8 times per day, not more... wich is a big minus for me.

About the other three resorts... what you think? It's better spending most of the time in one place and moving to another resorts for just a few day trips, or it would be cool to spend one week each? Is it possible to reach the other resorts early in the morning with public transportation in case of daily trips?

I found a great deal in Hirafu, a 4 weeks pass just for grand hirafu is cheap as well as the accomodation, i found a bargain for 100000yen. But is the Hirafu pass enough to have fun for a long period, or do i need the Niseko pass to really have fun and find some good pow?

About Niseko i'm afraid it will be crazy crowded, so i'm not sure if it's my best choice... Kiroro and Rusutsu look a lot less crowded but accomodation is more expensive. Also i don't know wich one has the steepest runs, cause i'm down for steep and face shots!

Another question, i read about the discounted plane fares from Tokyo to Chitose, but is there any extra fee for the snowboard equipment?

Ok that's pretty much it, hope some of you can help me choosing the right destination, i'm gonna book the tickets in one week!!

You'll get deep fo sure!! I think the Nagano mountains are best for steeps and you can get cheaps in both Hokkaido and Honshu. For me it sounds like you will be bored with only hirafu pass.....get the full niseko pass if you are going there...more options.

lastrocker - very sorry, not sure why but this didn't appear until now and so I am replying here to get it back on the first page for you.

Apologies for that, looking into it.

Thanks Pete! At first i tought i didn't have the rights to post a new thread being a new member eheh

Cheap, steep, deep then head to the Nagano or Niigata areas not Hokkaido from what I've read and heard on here and other places.

i love steep but it's my first powder trip overseas and i'd like to find the deepest and driest pow possible, and i heard Hokkaido is the place for snow quality and quantity, while in Nagano snow is more humid... hard choice for me!

You'll get deep fo sure!! I think the Nagano mountains are best for steeps and you can get cheaps in both Hokkaido and Honshu. For me it sounds like you will be bored with only hirafu pass.....get the full niseko pass if you are going there...more options.

That's what i decided in the last days, getting the full pass!

I read it's possible to arrange daily trips to Rusutsu, does some of you knows how much is it for the bus trip and if it's doable/makes sense to do so for a whole week? Right now i'm leaning toward the one month accommodation in Niseko, making the 21 days United pass, spending the 3 days of in Weiss and Moiwa, and reaching Rusutsu for the last 6 days from Niseko. It could be a good choice?

Kiroro looks too expensive, i didn't find any accomodation besides the main complex, but i'm still tempted to go to Asahidake, i'd like to get some feedback about it, some review says it's powder heaven, some says for a boarder is really too flat...

Yeah I reckon thats a good plan. I'm sure the locals will post more details about buses etc but I know its pretty common for peeps staying in Hirafu to head over to Rusutsu for a day. Mike often goes to Kiroro so maybe he'll pipe up with info of how to get over there. You may even meet some locals who'll let you tag along in their car and share petrol money

That's what i decided in the last days, getting the full pass!

I read it's possible to arrange daily trips to Rusutsu, does some of you knows how much is it for the bus trip and if it's doable/makes sense to do so for a whole week? Right now i'm leaning toward the one month accommodation in Niseko, making the 21 days United pass, spending the 3 days of in Weiss and Moiwa, and reaching Rusutsu for the last 6 days from Niseko. It could be a good choice?

Kiroro looks too expensive, i didn't find any accomodation besides the main complex, but i'm still tempted to go to Asahidake, i'd like to get some feedback about it, some review says it's powder heaven, some says for a boarder is really too flat...

Sounds like a plan.

Buses are available from Hirafu to both Moiwa and Kiroro. Haven't seen a schedule yet, but both easy and affordable for the day.

Asahidake is great but there are long runouts.

Sounds like a plan.

Buses are available from Hirafu to both Moiwa and Kiroro. Haven't seen a schedule yet, but both easy and affordable for the day.

Same for Rusutsu? Do you think going by to Rusutsu from Hirafu for like 5 days in a row is doable? I heard good things about it and i don't wanna spend more than 3 weeks in Niseko (just because there's the 21 days pass deal)...

Beside accomodation and price, wich place has the better terrain? I decided to go with the plan of staying in Hirafu for one month but i'm not getting a reply from the hotel i contacted, so i'm considering some alternative...

Be aware that it takes a long time to get to Asahidake. It is at least two hours from Furano (if my memory serves me correct.)

The snow is awesome at Asahidake, but it does get windy and socked in. and the long flat runout is boring.

Sounds like a plan.

Same for Rusutsu? Do you think going by to Rusutsu from Hirafu for like 5 days in a row is doable? I heard good things about it and i don't wanna spend more than 3 weeks in Niseko (just because there's the 21 days pass deal)...

Beside accomodation and price, wich place has the better terrain? I decided to go with the plan of staying in Hirafu for one month but i'm not getting a reply from the hotel i contacted, so i'm considering some alternative...

Yep daily bus to Rusutsu. Get there around 10 and leave around 4.

Try Hotel Romulus in Rusutsu.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/viewhotel.php?hotid=124