Have you been on the slopes lately and watched Japanese skiers? They ski so rigid and try to attain that 'perfect 80's skier form'. I know this doesn't apply to them all, but next time you're up, look for a ski school or race team and watch them. It's pretty funny. I think the guys that want to be more fluid and free go to boarding - I haven't seen too many Japanese 'freeskiers' up in the north here - except at Hakkoda.

The way I see it, you have 4 types of sliders in Japan. 1) Skiers - adhere to traditions and form. See skiing as a disciplined sport. 2)Boarders - the newer generation who want a little freedom in their mountain experience and want to express themselves 3)Backcountry skiers AND boarders - no need to go in to it, but a VERY cool breed here - too bad they know it 4)Everyone else - the skate skiers, the snow bike dudes and everyone else out just to have fun (had to cover my ass there)

Of course, the above conjectures are non-scientific and just my opinion at 7:13PM on a Friday. It could change by 7:28.

endzero - I have seen a few of them up here too, but not very many. Usually a group of 3 or 4 guys just ripping. For the most part, what I said holds true (at 8:36PM - could change \:\) )

so, you're from Seattle? Baker? in the summers? I'd love to get up there when I visit my home in Oregon. When people say, 'oh, Oregon is beautiful', I correct them and say, 'you mean Washington?'. I send them up there. We gotta keep the state pristine. We already have enough Cali trash up here \:\)

Right on dude. Where in Oregon are you from?

I spent a little bit of time in Bend last summer. That's a pretty dope city. I know it's exploding with population and all but it's a city I would consider doing a winter in.

Yeah Washington is pretty damn nice. I've just been there all my life so I need to see some new shit. Probably end up back there though. What about you? Attached to the Northwest?

Peace

enderzero - I am completely in love with the NW. Oregon is, and will always be my home. I love redirecting people to your state though! Keep Oregon Green - and local! I guess you are okay since you're from WA. \:\)

Bend is an area I'm looking to live - more like Sisters or Chumalt because, like you said, Bend is blowing up. Bend is a mess right now, but should get better soon.

What do you think about Wenatchee? Mission Ridge looks to have some backcountry potential.

And, FYI - Hakkoda had great weather today. You would have been at home - Perfect NW cement. The pow sucked - but we could at least see the bay today! All in all, a good day - I felt like I was skiing Hood or Bachelor again!

Ha, funny shit.

Wenatchee as a town is kind of a hole. I am not huge on any of the cities east of the mountains. The most livable is probably Ellensburg. I heard a rumor that Mission is in bad financial trouble and may not last much longer. The company that owns it (Harbor Resorts), and also owns my home mountain (Steven's) may be looking to sell. I guess Mission is just too far for Seattlites to make a day trip out of and no one wants to go spend a weekend in Wenatchee. They would rather make the trek to BC or Idaho. That coupled with the fact that there isn't much of a scene is Wenatchee for local riders is pulling it down. [This is just all rumor]

I rode there a couple years ago and enjoyed it but I remember it being somewhat limited in size.

So what's Bachelor like man? I have always wanted to check it out. What's your favorite mountain in Oregon?