Just came back from Hakkoda. Two days ago we had a warm day with very strong winds. Today is -15c and snowing. There is about a foot of fluffy powder on top of very hard snow. Not a big deal today, maybe not this weekend unless we get blasted, but if a lot of weight get put on top of the 430cm we got right now, there are parts where it will come tumbling down.

Watch out particularly for slopes facing the north-west side where the wind polished the hard snow. Funny enough the big ass volcano bowl should be fine; the elevation is too high to have been affected by the temperature drop and it faces south, protected from the winds.

Today it was a blind day and I still saw tracks from a group that did the volcano. Craziness.

I'm still trying to get a picture in my mind of what Hakkoda is like. Do you get a fair number of "regular" skiers or is it mostly the adventureous types going into the backcountry? I need to do a little research....since I'm probably going in late March as I mentioned in another thread.

This is Hakkoda. We got extra lucky this year, we saw the sun twice in January. Chances are we will not see it again until March :sjcool:

When visibility is about 10 feet only the hardcore venture out (and the newbies that take about 3 hours to finish a run to never come back again). When the sun comes out everybody heads for the mountain. If on a weekend the lines can get bad.

Thanks for the heads-up, will be heading up there next week. Having a proper weak layer will at least make digging snow pits for avy training more interesting..

BTW, Is there any published avy report from around that area similar to the niseko.nadare.info?

Cheers.

-D