Kashimayari, Akakura Onsen, or Togari Onsen?! Must choose one...

I will only have time this season for one more possible trip. But I have to choose one from Kashimayari, Akakura Onsen, or Togari Onsen. I haven't found any one really writing a lot on here about Togari or Kashimayari. Any one been at all? I read up on what some have posted about Akakura and that has been a great help, but I just wanted something to compare against it. I did a one day at Ryuoo thanks to Dyna and Ippy's info and it was very enjoyable. Any help on these would be great. I would just hate to go based on which ever place has the best weather report for this weekend. Thanks every one!

And may I also say how amazing this site is! I'm fairly new to boarding, and this has been the biggest help I've ever gotten out of any sport/forum.

I went to Togari last year......wasn't too bad, but quite a small place. They have loads of lifts but its all pretty compact, the snow was crap when we went last year as well. They have a few areas that would be interesting if the snow was on. If you only have 1 day.....I wouldn't go here, I'd say its fine if you are in the area and looking for a change from Nozawa, Myoko or even Ryoo (which I've never been to). Incidently, why only these 3? Akakura Kanko is meant to be better than Onsen, I'd prob even go to Madarao before I went to Togari

I went to Togari last year......wasn't too bad, but quite a small place. They have loads of lifts but its all pretty compact, the snow was crap when we went last year as well. They have a few areas that would be interesting if the snow was on. If you only have 1 day.....I wouldn't go here, I'd say its fine if you are in the area and looking for a change from Nozawa, Myoko or even Ryoo (which I've never been to). Incidently, why only these 3? Akakura Kanko is meant to be better than Onsen, I'd prob even go to Madarao before I went to Togari

I haven't been anywhere other than Ryoo... I was choosing from those three cause they were my overall cheapest choices for transportation/package deal. But I did just find out it's only a "bit" more to get to Nozawa. My full choices are those three, as well as Nozawa, Madarao, and Hakuba Goryu.

i guess one of the important questions is whats your level?

my first ever trek anywhere was to togari for example. I honestly dont remember much, but i do remember having plenty of fun on it learning to turn and just enjoying it. It felt not only massive but also had the single most terrifying run ive ever seen. Its like im describing something from my childhood... it was a sheer cliff drop to my innocent bambi like eyes. I actually couldnt look over the edge without lying down and clinging to tera firma lest i might slip and end up smashed upon the rocks 800 feet below!

Its amazing how perspective works :) Apparently the steepest thing they have there is around 34 degrees. And i dont get out of bed for anything less than prime avalanche terrain nowadays :|

I always dream of going back to those places from childhood just to see how they were much less interesting and much smaller through adult eyes... i feel the same about togari. I have a feeling i would ride a few top to bottom laps, internalise a 3000 word essay on the magic of childhood and the pains of growing up, and then job done, haughtily get the bus across to nozawa. :)

Ah togari. I remember a few more things now that ive let the name wash around my head for a time.

I recall looking up at one of the runs at the base area and actually uttering these immortal words to my mate "by the last day of this trip, i think ill try and ride that!" only to then look at the massive map and realise it was the bunny slope. id be riding it quite a lot it turned out.

I also recall the nighta being amazing good fun with my mates drinking chu hai from the vending machines in the nearby closed restaurant and then barelling down the ice wall.

I recall looking across at nozawa at night and thinking "haha! suckers! they have almost NOTHING to ride!"

And then looking across at it during the day and thinking "one day im going to come back here and ride that ridge" (the skyline).

Finally, i remember enjoying my wonderful onsen, and popping out to the outdoor bath only to realise there was no fence and everyone driving up the road was getting an eye full (well, it was cold so i exaggerate a little). I stood there like Lord Nelson surveying his fleet. If they werent going to build me a fence, i wasnt going to trouble myself to cover up! LET THEM LOOK!!! (they wont see much

Honestly, its not a review im writing here, nor is it a recommendation (my recommendation is that you contact BM and ask him about the akakan deal he was telling me about the other week), but togari holds a special place in my heart.

• Like 1

oh, but i will recommend you ride anything EXCEPT akakura onsen. I DETEST that place. Stupid lift placements, millions of lifts... theres only two things i like about akakura onsen:

1. When you leave it for lunch you walk right into the town. Yay!

2. If you go really far skiers right and duck a rope you can poach one of my favorite on piste lines in akakan (the big soft packed mogul steep that borders akakura onsen). The nice thing is that once you ride it, you can scoot back across to the onsen side and do it again. Tee hee!... what!??@! It should be one resort anyway! Its a bloody nonsense that place! :grandpa:

• Like 1

Thanks a ton, I will let you know where I end up going and how it all goes. And I'm definitely a beginner, so I'm not really picky on a lot, just looking to have fun like you said with Togari pretty much. But I'll try to steer clear of akakura onsen. Thank you. :worship:

oooh... and looking at your full choice... as a beginner:

Drum roll...

Goryu.

Not just because toomi/iimori are fantastic little slopes to learn on, but also because the panorama course is a stunning reward for you having learned to link your turns if its not so busy.

I just wrote out all the firsts i did at goryu and its honestly rather a long list... but you dont need to know it :) Still... ill add R1 to the list because it is iconic in my mind.

Not only will you have great runs for a beginner, but you have runs like R1 that give you a taste (while simultaneously spitting you out) of what the next step will be. Or you can just go to 47, gape in awe at the park and be inspired by some seriously rad park rats.

As if all that wasnt enough, heres the last little thing. If you are on your own and have a personality of some kind, goryu is pretty damn friendly. Foreigners are well accommodated there. Pop into tracks bar or something, or just hang out in your lodge and chances are therell be a few nice people to chat with and hang out with. If you can, id honestly go there. Its pretty much got it all as far as im concerned. In fact, here you go, some typical light reading:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/blog/11/entry-22-hakuba-goryu47-for-the-uninitiated/

• Like 1